Lack of Handling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

svavrek

Hello... My BD, Max, is stubborn as anything... I used to handle him alot from the time he was a baby until, I dunno, 12" or so in size but then one day he got cranky when I went to hold him and he's been that way ever since... I've had em about 2 years, from head to the tip of his tail hes pushin' 20" now, and STILL wont let me pick him up... he darts away from me, wont stay still if I DO get em... He never bites or flares up at me, just being a pain... Any suggestions?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
It sounds like your beardie went through the grumpy puberty and then stuck to his stubborn habits.
I think you should try retaming him from scratch. I adopted an adult beardie who'd been attacked by others and had never been handled. Dex never puffed at me like yours, but she would go to bite me and PANIC if i tried to hold her.

I used the following tricks that helped her settle down:

- put your hand in her tank, flat, but dont touch her. she'll see your not there to grab her. do this every now and then for a day or so.
- once youve done for a while start only hand feeding her (wriggley mealworms work best) if she goes to bite you. be brave and try not to flinch. just raise your hand up and remove the food. she'll soon learn biting isnt a good idea.
- then go for handling her again but do it an hour or so after lights out when she'll be sleepy and bored of fighting. at this time you can try the 'beardie burrito'. this involves wrapping your beardie in a blanket/towel like a newborn baby and laying them on your chest. if she doesnt like the beardie burito try wearing a dressing gown, alot of beardies enjoy softness. Dexter loves mine.
- when handling in this taming period make sure your not wearing any strong aftershave and that you dont smell like food.
It can also help to find an old item of clothing of yours (or cut a chunk out of it) and leave it in the tank. She will become used to your smell.

and repeat!

Although you might end up getting a few scratches as she squirms to run away it is VERY important not to just put her down if she struggles. She will learn that fighting gets her her own way and will make the process longer and harder.
Its perfectly possible to retame a beardie so give it a go :)

Keep us updated

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aleyna
Top Bottom