Koopa - Injured Front Right Limb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Payne,

Wow, so while you were gone his arm healed up then? Maybe he got some extra rest that he needed.
I am glad that he is doing so much better now & back to his normal crazy dragon self! :D
At least it was nothing too serious then, thankfully.
I hope you had a great trip, too.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good news ! I though he was faking it all along....just didn't want you to go to N.Z. :lol: Just kidding of course, glad he's got the kink worked out. :)

drpayne1990

Original Poster
Hey All,

I'm not going to freak out again, but it came back yesterday night...

He is yet again struggling to put weight on his front right limb. I have him out to try encourage movement, but it is very strange that it has returned.

He can walk maybe a few steps and then you see the strength drop. He is eating well and pooping regularly. I have checked his temps and they seem within range (given the few heat spikes down here in Australia), and UV lighting was replaced when I initally posted this.

This is leaning me to believe it might be a bit more serious, but he has been running around and jumping up things like a champ since I updated you all.

Not sure what to do this time, but just keeping you all in the loop.

Kind Regards,
Payne

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It sounds like it may be a touch of arthritis or similar joint problem that flares up from time to time.

drpayne1990

Original Poster
Drache613":3u7lu0s1 said:
I would recommend getting him on a liquid calcium. You are in Australia? You may be able to find Zol-cal liquid there at a pet store or order it online.

I am having trouble finding this in any pet stores around here, and also anywhere that delvers it online to Australia. What is the full name of this so I can be sure I find the correct one.

EDIT: I think I found one HERE. Can I please get confirmation this is the correct type.

AHBD":3u7lu0s1 said:
It sounds like it may be a touch of arthritis or similar joint problem that flares up from time to time.

Is there anything I can do about this if it is the case? He doesn't seem to react when I am bending it in and out to stretch it, but the poor bugga can't even walk again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Payne,

Yes, that will work just fine. It should have dosing instructions & the strength on it, per ml, also. When you get it I can try to help with dosing if needed.
That is too bad! It sounds like some arthritis from an injury I agree. Maybe it will heal up eventually, over time. It doesn't seem to be affecting him too badly does it, since he still tries to get around quite a bit?
Is he eating well also?

Tracie

drpayne1990

Original Poster
Drache613":1b7h6ank said:
Hello Payne,

Yes, that will work just fine. It should have dosing instructions & the strength on it, per ml, also. When you get it I can try to help with dosing if needed.
That is too bad! It sounds like some arthritis from an injury I agree. Maybe it will heal up eventually, over time. It doesn't seem to be affecting him too badly does it, since he still tries to get around quite a bit?
Is he eating well also?

Tracie

Thanks, Tracie.

Too answer your questions; he is still eating well, and he is moving around quite a bit by himself but I am also encouraging movement.

When I had him out in the sun yesterday, I slowly stretched his arm in and out and he let me. This is what I did last time hoping it would.improve.

I will let you know how it is going, and try get some footage if possibl .

Thanks again forthe help.

Kind Regards,
Payne

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Payne,

That is good news he is moving around a bit more & let you manually move it around also. Did he enjoy the sunshine too?
I hope he is feeling better soon but it sounds like he is on the road to recovery now! :D

Tracie

drpayne1990

Original Poster
Drache613":3tfnszd2 said:
Hello Payne,

Tracie

Hey Tracie,

I have finally got the liquid calcium after quite some time. Just wondering if I can get a hand on how to give this to the little bugga.

There is an image of the back of the bottle HERE for reference.

Thanks for the support and help.

Payne

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Payne,

That is wonderful you finally got your liquid calcium!
Sure, how much does Koopa weigh now, estimated? That is all I need & I can dose him. Do you plan on giving it via a syringe, correct?
How is he doing today?

Tracie

drpayne1990

Original Poster
Drache613":2i7yaodc said:
Hello Payne,

Sure, how much does Koopa weigh now, estimated? That is all I need & I can dose him. Do you plan on giving it via a syringe, correct?
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Hey Tracie,

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for the late response. Been a bit crazy over here with a heap of life related stuff and just becoming unemployed...

Anyhow, I have popped Koopa on the scales and he is currently 568g. My other 'little' fella Gilbert is 720g. It's funny how much bigger he is and has 2 limbs missing... I think he got more attention because he is the youngest :p.

Thanks in advance.

Payne

drpayne1990

Original Poster
drpayne1990":1bjyqeuu said:
Drache613":1bjyqeuu said:
Hello Payne,

How is he doing today?

Tracie

Hey Tracie,

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for the late response. Been a bit crazy over here with a heap of life related stuff and just becoming unemployed...

Anyhow, I have popped Koopa on the scales and he is currently 568g. My other 'little' fella Gilbert is 720g. It's funny how much bigger he is and has 2 limbs missing... I think he got more attention because he is the youngest :p.

I was planning on mixing it with a bit of water and giving it to him with a dipper. That is generally how I hydrate him, and thought I may be able to do it with this as well. I have attempted using a syringe in the past with him, but he really doesn't like it whatsoever.

He is up and down, it is very strange. Some days he can walk on it fine and others he just lays there. I think it might be safe to say it could be arthritis.

Thanks in advance.

Payne

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh, no problem at all! Sorry about your job, that is extremely rough.
I hope Koopa is doing better!
You can dose him at .02ml which is a little over 1mg/kg for him at that strength. Does he have metabolic bone disease? If so, I can go a little higher to 2 if needed. That is fine to mix that with water & use something else to give to him since he doesn't like the syringe.
That is amazing Gilbert is missing 2 limbs but bigger than Koopa!
I hope they are both doing well. So you are thinking Koopa may have some arthritis going on?

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

drpayne1990

Original Poster
Drache613":311re6ws said:
Hello,

Oh, no problem at all! Sorry about your job, that is extremely rough.
I hope Koopa is doing better!
You can dose him at .02ml which is a little over 1mg/kg for him at that strength. Does he have metabolic bone disease? If so, I can go a little higher to 2 if needed. That is fine to mix that with water & use something else to give to him since he doesn't like the syringe.
That is amazing Gilbert is missing 2 limbs but bigger than Koopa!
I hope they are both doing well. So you are thinking Koopa may have some arthritis going on?

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Hello Tracie,

Thanks for the help, I will get some into him first thing tomorrow morning (they have gone to sleep now). Koopa shouldn't have MDB as he has always had ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent, and calcium powder on his food his whole life. He still won't put much pressure on it if he doesn't need to. But if he has to walk around out of the enclosure, he will walk on it fine.

There is no reptile vets near by, which is annoying. But they are both due for a good checkup.

Thanks again for the help, will keep you posted if he significantly improves.

Cheers,
Payne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom