kinda confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

robson0587

alright, ive been doing alot of reading on this site. i think im over worrying about everything but here are some questions. Ozzy is about 6-7 inches long and dont know the weight. i have him/her in a 10 gal tank will be getting new one this weekend. first, i had the repti-glo 10w coil UVB light, no good right?? so i turned it off until the new tank. thats ok for a few days?? second, i have the 75W repta-sun basking bulb about eight inches away from his/her hammock and the temp there is at 88F and the cool side is sitting at 70F. any suggestions?? i have a heat pad on the bottom of the warm side and check the temp which was 97F right above the pad, ive read this is no good should i turn it off? im using paper towel for the substrate for now. as for feeding the little guy, im giving fresh greens everyday (collard greens), which seem to be somewhat ate when i come home from work, and then some crickets. now some say as much as they can eat in 10-15 mins a few times a day, others say two dozen a day, the guy at the store said 6-12 a day. but my beardie doesnt attack the crickets when i put them in the cage. he/she will wait til they come right up to him/her and then might eat it but never all of them. when the beardie makes a bowel moment, it has been very dry and small. should i be concerned? when take him/her out of the tank, which is twice a day usually for twenty mins at a time, he/she seems pretty happy. let me know what ya'll think. once i get the new tank, things should start to work out better but for now this is what i have.

26812_1378360347637_1490732063_30983757_3337435_n.jpg

26812_1378360387638_1490732063_30983758_1763309_n.jpg

26812_1378360547642_1490732063_30983762_27963_n.jpg

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
2 things...

1. He is in obvious need of moisture. Give him a bath every day for the next week until his poops are moist but solid with a nice bright white tip at the end. After that, once a week is sufficient but some do it more still and that is ok.

2. How are you taking those temps?? That seems mighty low.

And yes, it is ok to go a few days without UVB. Try to get that replaced as quickly as possible. What are you replacing it with??

robson0587

Original Poster
alright, i will start with the baths tomorrow. ive give him a couple so far but will up the number for the next week. i use a digital thermometer probe i bought at walmart. it has a ten foot cord with the probe on the end. i set it in place for ten mins or so and checked the temps. but on a side note, i bought a 75 gallon tank today (48 x 17 3/4 x 22 inches) which came with a hood for the UVB light. which one should i get again?? it holds an 18 inch tube. what else can i do to keep the temps up? with such a big tank im worried its going to be hard. i will get pix up this weekend.

spikerocks

Juvie Member
U can't get an accurite temp in ten minutes. u should wait 45 minutes. most of us tape the probe in place directly on the basking spot to b able to onitor the temp continually. I have two digital thermometer probes in my vivs, one in the basking spot, one on the cool side.

u should buy the ReptiSUN 10.0 fluroscent tube. Do not buy the repti-glo. I made that mistake before n they r a waste of money. I would give ur baby a bath today. please don't wait. he looks dehydrated. :(

glad u got the new tank he should b very happy in there

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
You have to leave the probe there for much longer than 10 minutes. Quite frankly mine hasnt moved in 2 months. Leave it sit there for a couple of hours and see what the temps are.

Reptisun 10.0 or reptiglo 8.0 are good bulbs. A lot depends on what type of hood it is. Does it say this fixture is meant for t8 or t12?? Definitely a difference that needs to known before you get a bulb.

robson0587

Original Poster
spikerocks":22ej65xt said:
U can't get an accurite temp in ten minutes. u should wait 45 minutes. most of us tape the probe in place directly on the basking spot to b able to onitor the temp continually. I have two digital thermometer probes in my vivs, one in the basking spot, one on the cool side.

u should buy the ReptiSUN 10.0 fluroscent tube. Do not buy the repti-glo. I made that mistake before n they r a waste of money. I would give ur baby a bath today. please don't wait. he looks dehydrated. :(

glad u got the new tank he should b very happy in there

i would give him the bath today but i am at work sadly. first thing tomorrow morning he is going in the tub!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom