Status
Not open for further replies.
Bearded dragon keeps hanging out in cool side of tank. Wondering why

Tank size:
Length - 48"
Width - 18"
Height - 23"
86 Gallons

3 heating lamps. 2 on hot side, 1 on cool side. Basking spot temp is 110 fahrenheit, hot side is 98 fahrenheit. Cool side is 86 farengeit. Subatrate is linoleum. He has a large water dish, a rock/cave, a hiding log (plastic from pet store), a bamboo bridge going across the back of the tank and sticks leaned up on each end to climb on. Hes spoiled, I know. Anyway he used to always climb on the sticks which he uses for basking but lately he's been hanging out on the cool side on the ground of his tank. He gets fed veggies and greens daily and sometimes store bought bearded dragon food as treats. And dusted crickets daily. Generally as many as he wants but I will usually cut him off at around 40 or so due to fear of impaction. And he is 10 months old, almost 18 inches long from tail to head and a decent 330 grams.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What sort of tank is it and what sort of lights are you using? My first thought is he is too hot. Either the whole tank is too warm, just the cool side (so he never gets to cool off) or he is trying to find a cooler area due to the season. I might be worth trying to drop the ambient temps.

As for the season, Pepper has been hanging out on his cool end (75-85) or under his rock (85).

thegame345

Original Poster
2 basking bulbs on the hot end and 1 on the cool end. They are exoterra intense basking bulb 150w

http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-incandescent-bulbs/11442-501544/exo-terra-sun-glo-tight-beam-basking-bulbs.html

And a reptisun 10.0 for uvb

http://www.thatpetplace.com/reptisun-10-0-high-output-uvb-bulbs

And I also use a ceramic heating coil for nighttime.

I do not remember the brand of the tank. I will attach a picture. The lights are off in the picture. On the right is the cool side. Even though there is a dual light fixture there is only one heating bulb in it.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Thanks for the photo of your setup, that's a nice tank. A couple questions though. Do you have any screen under the reptisun? Are the gauges how you are taking the temps, or do you also check with a digital meter?

thegame345

Original Poster
The uvb does have a screen under it. And no i check with a digital heat gun or whatever you call them. I just got those gauges for free so I threw then in there anyway. Don't think I've even looked at them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom