Keeps closing eye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Hi all.
I'm doing the list to prevent anyone from asking it anyways even though not all of it is relevant. I'm bolding my answers so pay attention to them please.
My baby Baron keeps closing one eye. I got him 1 week ago, he has the proper UVB(look below) and what I think is the right basking bulb. I'm mostly wondering if it's just a thing they do or if it's the basking bulb not working with the wave lengths of the UVB.

The eyes look clear and bright, but one and a while when he's basking he will just...keep one eye closed? I've turned the UVB off for now until I get some answers. It isn't affecting him being active, he's very very active since he shed, and his diet isn't known because I've only had him for a week and I won't be able to tell if it's his diet for at least another week.

How old is your dragon? About a month
How long have you had your dragon? 1 week
How long is your dragon? Uhmm. I don't know his exact length, but he's about the length of my index finger so maybe 3 and a half inches from head to base of tail?
What is the sex of your dragon? Not known
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? Exo Terra 36x18x18
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Slate Tile
Do you use UVB lights? Yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? It's the Reptisun 10.0
How old is your UVB bulb? A week old
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? it's 6 inches exactly from the basking spot, but he doesn't lie directly under it, so more like 7-8 on average
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? Yes seperate, it's a zoomed repti basking spot, it's 100w and it's kind of off white(like a regular house hold bulb?) I'm actually wondering if it's the basking bulb
What are the basking temps? consistently 105-107
What is the cool side temp? 80 on average
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Digital with probe and a temp gun that's 2" away when I take temps
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? I do most of the basking spot, but I focus mostly on the area he is laying in.
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? no.
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. He gets small crickets(less then the space between his eyes) dusted with calcium 5x a week and multivitamin 2x a week, and collard greens and butternut squash. Because he's only been here for a week he hasn't eaten much because of relocation stress.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? twice a day he gets offerings of insects, the veggies are always in, and I feed him morning and night (about 9 in the morning and 7 at night.)
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Yes
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? I use the herpvite and calcium+d3. It's the reptical. Look above for dusting.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? He has pooped 4 out of the 6 days. He didn't poop the first day, and he didn't poop two days ago. (I'm not counting today)
Do you bath your dragon? How often? Every day
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? I offer him a bit of water in a syringe when I have him out.
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? Not yet. I'm waiting until the beginning of next month when I get paid to bring a fecal in.
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No, he's my only dragon.

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
That looks like the exact same bulb except mine is a higher wattage. I'm going to get a dimmer for mine-my problem is sometimes the heat in my apartment will stop working for a few days so I like having the higher wattage in case that happens and need to keep the temps up.
I'm not home right now so I can't confirm it's the exact same, but the packaging is very very very similar.

Someone mentioned it seems pretty common for babies and they usually stop when they get older. Maybe this is just my anxiety kicking in? :?

morphmom

BD.org Addict
I'm still hoping someone else jumps in. I adopted an adult so I'm not 100% on all things baby. I'm sure another suggestion will come by soon :wink:

Lenewen

Juvie Member
It's normal for the most part for them to close one eye. I see this behavior in other lizards as well as beardeds. As long as he doesn't seem bothered by the light, you are fine. There would be other symptoms if there was something wrong with the lighting, like closing both eyes for a long period of time and struggling to open them.

Good job on the setup! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom