Keeping one eye shut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hercules

Hatchling Member
Hey guys, so I just got a new beardie a little over 2 weeks ago. He has been acting great and eating like a champ. However, this morning he wouldn't come out of his hide spot. I thought this was odd so took him out to feed him. I noticed that he was keeping his right eye shut and would not open it. I offered him some phoenix worms and he ate about 12 of them. The past 2 days he ate 10-12 phoenix worms and around 20 crix each day so he still has a good appetite. His head is in the process of shedding and last night when I gave him a bath I did see him scratching at some loose skin on the right side of his face. I'm thinking he may of scratched his eye last night when he was scratching at the loose skin but I can't be sure. Is this something I should get checked out right away or give it a couple days and see if it gets better?

Just a quick addition, he has not been acting lethargic and hasn't stayed in his hide spot for long until this morning, which I'm thinking may be because he feels vulnerable with his one eye hurt. Also, my set up is all correct with the right temp range and reptisun uvb along with 2 white light basking bulbs.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help

Hercules

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
One more thing I forgot to add, I looked at his eye closely and there wasn't any puss or anything around it.

Hi there,
My main question is, how old is your UVB tube? But it would be very helpful if you answer the following questions to give a better judgement when helping.

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

Payne

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I would give it another day or two, unless it starts oozing or gets crusty. Has the area shed so he will no longer be scratching in that spot? Let us know how it is tomorrow, please. You might want to try putting some raw, unpasteurized honey on it, diluted with just a drop of warm water. If you have him on a substrate like sand, walnut shells, or shavings you will want to change that out to tile, newspaper, paper towels, or non-adhesive shelf liner.

Hercules

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Looks like his head is done shedding and I use paper towels as substrate. I'll keep you updated on how it looks over the next day or two

Hercules

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Good news, my little guys eye was open today and looks fine. Must of just irritated it somehow the other day. Ate like a champ again today about 20 phoenix worms and a handful of crickets.

Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom