Keeping Crix alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I order 50 baby crickets every week. I feed 5 in the morning 5 at night. I always keep Greens in there, they are from a cite linked here many of times.

So my question is how do you keep them alive? Im keeping them in a rubber container.

It seems to me that more die then I feed. (A little exagerated but really).

I put some dandelion greens in there cage yesterday. I first soaked them in water then sliced some up for my lizard and then put the extra in the Cricket cage. They all flocked it and seemed like they were drinking the water off the leaves. Then I woke up today there were holes in the Leaves like they ate it?

It seems like they are more active now, then in the past but then again I have only had my dragon like 5 days now x).

So are there any tips on keeping these buggers alive? They have egg carton pieces in there cage too.

My lizard is only like a week old, to give an idea of size.

ddma

Juvie Member
why do you have a bearded dragon that is only a week old? where did you get him/her ?
i buy 1000 crix at a time. i keep them in a big 18 gallon rubbermaid container with a screen on top . i feed them with fish flakes, gerber mixed grain baby cereal flakes, orange cubes from flukers, orange slices, sweet potato, any veggies and greens i feed my dragons, carrots. i have egg crates and paer towel tubes in there also. i clean my container out and replenish the food every other day, no problems, no smells, i get some dead ones but not alot, it's normal to have some dead ones.

Stouffer1990

Original Poster
Im not sure... I got him at a reptile store. He is only 2 inchs. Maybe a little smaller. I posted pictures in the Intro section.

I wanted a small one so it could bond with me as it grew. I had no clue he was so young. This is my first reptile ever.

So yeah... x). Thank you for the info. Thank you for the info you were very helpful :)

ddma

Juvie Member
usually breeders do not sell thier baby beardies until they are at least 10 grams in weight and at least 7 inches. your baby is extremely small. be careful as, he/she is very fragile. good luck, hope all goes well

Seven65

Juvie Member
Not every breeder is as responsible unfortunately. The pet store in town sells 3-4 inch dragons. And they stay 3-5 inches untill they are sold (mine was 5 inches at 6 or 7 months old). No UVB (used to be a reptiglo coil but now it's gone), No heat lamp, crushed walnut, heat rock, 4 week old crickets and meal worms, 2-3 to a tall 10 gal tank. They just sit there in place cuddled up on the heat rock all day in the dark, they're a dark grey colour ( I thought Nef was supposed to be black when I bought him, turns out with proper care he's a brilliant yellow)

When I comment on their "setup" the response is: "We've never had any problems"

mich

Hatchling Member
Our pet stores are the exact same :( I went through a great deal of trouble to get my dragons from a breeder because of that. I've purchased 2 reptiles locally in the past from a PetValu, baby iguanas, and one I took to the vet constantly for months and paid a small fortune before it died .. but my other one thrived with proper lights and diets. Poor care from the start can lead to long term problems and your dragon is ever sooo small. I posted on classified sites for months and ended up driving 4 hours to get mine but I'm very glad I did. Wish the pet stores could be held more accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom