Keeping crickets alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JagersMom

Hatchling Member
Can anyone give me tips on keeping my crickets alive? I don't have a colony or anything. I just buy them 20-30 at a time maybe twice a week. They have food and water, but they're dying, not all of them, maybe 5-10 per 30 I have. Any tips on keeping them alive longer would be appreciated.

Triage

Hatchling Member
Hmm...your not buying many and your losing a lot. What size crickets are we talking here? Full adults? You say they have food and water. What is your food and water source? What are you keeping them in? Also, do you have some hiding spots for them?

hartungs

Hatchling Member
I have had some experience with crickets, and the only thing I can tell you is make sure to give them plenty of food and water crystals. DO NOT give them water. They will drown. I am sure that someone here with more experience will chime in. Best of luck...

pimmsoclock87

Hatchling Member
This happens to me as well!! with locusts and crickets.

Currently not in the posistion to start breeding so been having to buy 4 tubs per week. Think mine are dying quick because of the cold? my flat is VERY cold (warmest place is rex's viv!)

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
You need to keep them around 75-80 degrees and for food i just put cut up potatoes in the tubs with them it works well for me. I can keep alive 1500 adult crickets for 1-1 1/2 weeks (that is as long as they last at my house with all the hungry mouths to feed) :D .

JagersMom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks everyone. i was told carrots or potatoes, and i have the cricket water pillows. they're the large crickets you get at petco (i work there) and one of my co-workers who has 5 beardies told me their life span isn't very long. our apartment stays pretty warm, obviously jäger's viv is the warmest place in the house, but i would say it stays around 75 in here, even at night. i keep egg crates in their little container so they have somewhere to hide as well. thanks for all the responses!

Triage

Hatchling Member
Yeah, the life span isn't very long after they have reached adults. That's probably the problem. They are dying from old age. IMHO.

carmdac

Hatchling Member
hello Jagers mom! i posted this a few months ago, and thought it might be helpful. click on my name and search my post for Crix Tips
by carmdac on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:26 pm

Good Luck

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I was keeping 2000 alive for about 2 weeks without much loss. Do they have enough room? I remember killing tons when i first started i used water and kept them in to small of a container. I fed them what i fed my beardies. I use big rubermaid containers with screen on top for good ventilation. And if it got cool i could add a light for heat. I used the water crystals and had wonderful results. I hate them tho cause no mater how clean you keep them they smell.

bjvolk2

I usually buy 1000 3/4 inch and mine will stay alive for 3 weeks to a month with minimal loss. I keep mine in a ten gallon aquarium around 70-75 degrees and put the flukers orange cube and a couple whole potatoes in there cut up about every 3 days or so. This has always worked for me, hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom