Kana's story

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
So, I've been posting a bit in the Beardie Tales section about my three, but I felt that Kana deserved a little bit of extra attention.
Our story begins on an average Sunday. I work in a pet store, and was in charge of doing the opening duties. Well, I went into the back where we keep all of our extra animals, and there, in one of the cages, was an adult bearded dragon. I looked at it, and, it being about 2 hours before I normally wake up, it took a few moments for my brain to actually comprehend the data. Yes, indeed, there was a full-grown bearded dragon in our store, which I have never seen one there before aside from the rare customer owned beardie. And, it being Sunday, the only reason we would have an adult beardie in the store would be because a customer surrendered it. So, I walk over to the cage and realize that this poor beardie is in horrific shape. I've seen some on the forums that are worse, but this beardie had definately had a rough life up until that point. Her body was so emaciated you could see all of her ribs, and some of those ribs were very twisted. Well, of course, I freaked out and went to my manager, asking what was up with the beardie in the back. He told me that apparently some customers had brought it in the day before in a TEN GALLON TANK. For the record, she is 17.5 inches long. I decided that instant to take her home.
So, that night, I got quarantine tank and set it up, and thus began Kana's new shot at life.
Over the past three weeks, Kana has been progressively getting better (I have had to check multiple times, and I'm pretty sure she's female :) ). For the first two weeks, we had to do daily baths, and I spent many hours trying to clean her scales (betadine is wonderful!) because she must have been in such horrific conditions that she had dried feces all over her vent area, tail, and right fore and hind claws. There is still some left, just because there was so much that I couldn't get all of it, but the worst is gone. She is also no longer pooping every day (squash baby food and soy yogurt are an amazing combo!) and it isn't the really runny stuff that it was originally. And is she ever hyper (which, believe me, is a good turn around).
At first, she would just lie there, only showing activity or excitement when there were crickets around. Now, she is my most explorative beardie, and loves to romp around the house. She has a full supply of crickets and greens, which I'm pretty sure she was never fed, so I've been giving her mostly squash baby food until I can coerce her into eating those nasty green things. I've had many dogs in my life, and often equate having bearded dragons to having dogs, because they are often quite alike in their mannerisms. Well, Kana is definately more of an attention begger than my dogs have ever been! If she isn't the center of attention, the universe implodes. I brought out Oz today (who is still bruminating) and Kana acted like a poor attention starved creature that had never been looked at, even though I had just had her out half an hour ago!
I think that she is finally going to shed, too! Some of her scales are looking really shiny, and the spikes on her sides are starting to get transparent tips on them. I think she is going to be quite the looker after she sheds, her beard is a bright red-orange. Right now, she is a kinda dull burnt orange over most of her body, but her sides are really pretty red orange, just like her beard.
PICT0023.jpg

Although this pic doesn't do much justice to her coloration, it does show off her attitude. "Salad? What is that and why did you put my nummy worms in there?!"
So, now I get to upgrade my terrariums and finally put in slate tiles (Christmas money!) and figure out if I'm going to stick with crickets or start a roach colony (I have three girls for roommates who hate the crickets, so I figure if I can convince them that the roaches won't escape, I should be good).

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Shes beautiful. Thank you for taking her home. I cant wait to see more pictures of her soon!

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Great news! I managed to get her to eat a bit of salad (I am 99 percent certain she's never had green things before). Most of what she went for was the squash, but she really seems to like it. She also got a nice cube of mango, which I also think she seemed to enjoy. Vivariums will be upgraded next Tuesday, that way I'll have some free time to set them up (I'm working 6 days this week, oh joy, I just got called in for another shift tonight, on my only day off aside from Christmas Day. There goes my plans for working on Christmas presents).
But yeah, she's at least doing a good job munching down the squash, I think I'll stick to doing sqush with some greens mixed in for the time being.

This is an amazing story! Kana is about to have a much better holiday than I'm sure she's ever had. I just adopted an adult beardie who was treated pretty well, except he was on an all-cricket diet with occaisional lettuce. Any tips on how you got Kana to start taking salad? My guy would rather starve than eat greens, even squash.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks! I started out by giving her squash babyfood with a syringe. Dot it on their nose, and give them time to lick it off, that seemed to work the best. Do you cook the squash, or give it to them raw? Mine seem to prefer cooked squash, I took an acorn squash, cut it in half and cooked it in water for 35 minutes at 400 degrees Farenheit, and have been using that. She took a bite once of some uncooked butternut but didn't really seem to like it. I also cut back on the crickets, and she almost immediately went after the squash about an hour after I normally give her crix. (sorry for the grammar, brain is fuzzy from too much work right after finals :) )
But yeah, we're still working on the whole salad thing, the beardies weren't too happy that I had no time to let them romp today (that and the house is too cold for it right now, we're having some troubles with the heating blasting out cold air :roll: ) But, we'll have to see whether or not I can get in to work tomorrow, or if my work will even be open, we're getting blasted with a nasty blizzard (see [ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=119927 f=33 ] for more delightful details). I really wouldn't complain about a freebie day off!
Just about to shut down for the night, then time to try salad attempt three tomorrow morning. Salad attempt two went over pretty well, Kana seems to really like mango slices, but can't grab them with her tongue. I'm going to mince some tomorrow and stick them on top of her squash.
Oh, and no more daily poop! Twice that that has happened in the last week!

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Pacmanandy":58b8e said:
This is an amazing story! Kana is about to have a much better holiday than I'm sure she's ever had. I just adopted an adult beardie who was treated pretty well, except he was on an all-cricket diet with occaisional lettuce. Any tips on how you got Kana to start taking salad? My guy would rather starve than eat greens, even squash.

You could try putting greens and squash in a food processor and pureeing it then feeding it through a syringe, by dripping it onto his nose. I just posted on your other post as well.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the support! I've finally got her up to the point where she has pretty much zonked out, and will probably be tha way for the next few months! Now I have another little guy to worry about (when I finally think that I've got things easy, something else comes along.) But I'll be keeping everyone up to date on Kana's adventures, she may become an ambassador come spring!

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So, apparently Kana was totally zonked for about 36 hours. She's now back to her delightful, cheerful self, noming on a ton of acorn squash (the only veggie I can really convince her to eat, but she loves it!) I have a great video, I'm just too tired from work to actually put the thought it would take into posting it online. So, that will come, along with the new 40 gallon terrarium! I've had Kana in a borrowed 20 gal so that I could keep her gradient right, and because initially she was having issues with diarrhea and wasn't really moving. Well, no more! I have a bunch of rocks that I have to bake this week, and I get to finally get rid of the sand that's is in Noxy's tank and switch everything over to slate tiles! Woo hoo, Christmas money hard at work! But yeah, Kana is happily basking after again munching on acorn squash, and sends arm waves to everyone! :wave:

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Poor Kana, she's really got it rough. First time shedding with a crazy owner who dumps her in water every night! lol, Kana is definately itchy, she keeps trying to scratch like a dog. Finally got a day off today, so I got to bake the rocks I've had in my car since thanksgiving. Noxy's tank is the last one to go under an overhaul, I've just gotta put in the slate tiles and his new rocks. He's also shedding, so I have two very uncooperative beardies right now whose life goals are to send me all over the world to keep them happy. Oz just keeps giving me dirty looks when I flip on lights in my room. Sigh...
Here's to being a happy slave to three spoilt beardies.
Oh, and there will be pictures soon, I am borrowing a friend's really nice camera for before and after shots of Kana during her shed :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So, I'm still waiting for my friend to forward me the pictures (good quality camera, unlike mine :'( ) so no pics yet... but Kana has gone almost entirely gray in patches, now its just a waiting game for when she actually sheds. I'm being super impatient...
But, as I write this, she has totally zonked out on my shoulder... over the last few weeks she has turned into the biggest cuddle bug of all time. She hates for me to be away for work, and is always looking at me like, "What's up? Can I come out for a while?"
So now I"m trying to figure out how to take her off of my shoulder without her waking up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom