Kana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some time ago (around mid December through January) I came to this forum in a panic over my newly rescued bearded dragon, Wakana (Kana for short). Well, over six months and many many trials and triumphs, I'm happy to report that she is doing very well. My other two dragons, Ozymandius and Autumn Equinox,+ now both have good new homes and are being spoiled mercilessly by their new owners. Kana is my happy companion to my daily routines, especially when I'm working on homework (I swear it never ends, even in the summer!) and my book (which I'm still working on) and multiple websites (how I'll probably end up making a living).
Now that my life has calmed down a bit (I'm a double major and a minor, with a part time job and multiple extracurriculars) I figured that I would post and promise pics soon. I'm waiting for Kana to actually start her second shed, over the last couple of weeks her color has been brightening noticably, even without her shedding. She now spends most of her days basking happily with a ready supply of superworms, collard greens, and raspberries. I don't actually have a scale, but she has put on quite a bit of weight, and has grown for 17 inches when I first brought her home to at least 18.5" (I can't get her off of my shoulder to measure her :roll:
More to come soon!

Sadona

Juvie Member
Neat name choices for the beardies! I don't know why, but I gravitate towards names of planets/stars/desert plants when picking out suitable names.
I can't wait to see Kana. :)

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Too much to do, too little time! Still no pics, I'm house sitting so i don't have my normal internet connection, or computer. But I also get to sit for a friend's dragon, so its fun to see a dragon that will actually eat their greens. Anyhow, Kana's been doing well, she's trying to figure out if she wants to eat blueberries or just let them sit in the bowl, lol. She's probably grouchy because I've been paying attention to somewhere around 15 different animals I've been watching this last week. Can't wait to get back to a normal routine, I miss seeing her every morning :(
Ah well, life is busy, what can you do? Pics will come soon, I've got piles of them, just need to get them uploaded.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Sorry, still haven't managed to get photos posted. On vacation, so Kana is staying over at one of my good friend's houses, she also has a beardie so she knows what she's doing. The rest of the critters are all chilling at home with one of my roommates. Great thing is that I'm out in Idaho, so lots of wild critters. My dad's garden is overrun with cute little toads, and I've seen lizards before. As long as I don't end up around a western diamondback, we'll be good! Once I get back home, I'll try to get some pictures posted if I've got the time. Also have Chalkfest coming up next Saturday, so I'll be panicking to get my picture set up for that. Debating bringing Kana with, since I'll be drawing an Oriental dragon, but there will be a lot of dogs and I'm not sure if the weather is going to be good enough to keep her out all day. Although, we've been in the 80's and 90's almost the entire summer, so we'll see.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Back from vacation, and Kana has officially earned the title of "Bearded Brat". I'm accounting part of this to shedding, but she has decided that nothing other than superworms, collard greens, and mangos are acceptable to her discerning pallet. So, she's on hunger strike, and so far I haven't managed to cave (she has plenty of fat deposit built up). But, she fared much better during vacation than my other animals, who I left in the care of my roommate (Kana was at the sitter's). I came back to find my upside down catfish dead and floating at the top of the tank, and my 4 cory cats passed away very soon after, leaving Shiro, my Betta, the only survivor of my tank. The geckos seem fine, thankfully, but my snakes were literally swimming in their tanks, one of them having gone to the bathroom in it. So, it was... less than a good sign of welcome home. Dunno how much longer this roommate is going to be living with us, there are already a number of trust issues that seem to be coming up, this is pretty much the worst thing that she's done though. She's not going to be handling any of my reptiles ever again, or watching them.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thought I would stop in and update, and post a pic of Kana for the world to see!
Here is Kana about a month after I got her
PICT0065.jpg

She was originally housed in a ten gallon tank, came to me with worm, coccidia, and other fun issues, not the least being MBD in her ribs. She was filthy from cage substrate and feces, the last of which was finally gotten rid of during her last shed! She now has a 40 gallon tank, Reptisun UVB light, proper heat, and lots of fun pieces of wood to play on.
Here is a couple of pictures of her now:
DigitalCamera9-3-10017.jpg

DigitalCamera9-3-10019.jpg
DigitalCamera9-3-10196.jpg

This last one was taken about an hour before she shed her right side, and she's getting lighter. It's kind of amusing to see the color contrast, its not very much, but still visible.
For now, Kana gets to be my homework buddy, I'm in my fifth year of college, hopefully graduating in the spring. I'll try and get some more pics soon, but as schedules get worse, we'll see how well that works out :roll:

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It has been a while since the last update, figured I would post the word that apparently Kana is feeling the encroaching winter and has for the last two weeks been a semi-comatose bundle of beardie. Hoping that she makes up her mind if she wants to sleep or stay awake, I had to keep her from bruminating last year due to her poor health, I think she deserves a good sleep this year. Very curious to see how long she sleeps, too, my other beardie Oz was down and out from September to March.

BeardyDragon

Juvie Member
she must have a good mom, and i like that last pic! that reminds me of xena, she does that all too often...with the legs and colors, i thought wait, how'd she get that pic of xena?

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Haha, that's great. She never did shed the other half of her back, so her colors are just slightly off from one another.
Now, though, I was veeeeeeery bad today. We had a professional photographer come into where I work, so I took Kana in and had some pictures taken of both her and her with me. So, once I get the cd (which was expensive, but at least I'm getting a lot of pictures out of the deal) I'll be sure to post. Did not intend to spend that much money, but the pictures turned out so good... and I never really have had a professional photo, and I'm going to need one for my author page when I put out my book (which will happen).
But, onto the photos... Kana is definately going down for the season, she turned into a very spiky pancake when I woke her up this morning. She was an absolute doll for the photographers, and pretty much posed perfect. I entered her into the cutest pet contest, so we'll see how that turns out! She's the only non-fuzzy critter they had photographed. Again, I have to wait until I have the pictures to actually put them up.
But yeah, as soon as we got back in the car (we're having really weirdly warm temps right now) she dug into her blanket and kept looking up at me like, "Why am I awake right now? Can I go back to bed?"
So, we'll see if she actually decides that she wants to wake up tomorrow, or if she feels like staying asleep!

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Been a while since I last posted, yay for school getting in the way of everything else! Not too much going on in Kana's little corner of the world, she's just been super hyper and constantly tries to get out of her cage. When she romps around the room, she has taken to trying to dig her way as deep into the closet as possible, which makes it fun for me to try and get her out... luckily, she tries to climb everything, so she scratches enough I can track her by sound. So far, again, she is refusing all veggies, which is really, really annoying. I'm going to go back to baking the squash to get her to at least start taking it, I know that you lose most of the nutrients, but she needs to be eating her veggies.
But yeah, life in the Midwest is very wonderful in the winter... never seems to stop getting colder or snowing. We still have some snowdrifts that are blocking walking paths around my house that for some odd reason have stopped supporting people's weight. Yay for falling into a three foot snow drift! (I'll admit, it was kinda fun, but also kinda annoying having to climb out of it)
Happy holidays to all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom