Juvenile beardie tips ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicky1234

96317-6442633271.jpg

Hey guys! We just got a new beardie and the pet store said he’s about 8 weeks old. Does that seem about right based on the size? He seems pretty small! I’m also wondering if anyone has any tips on how to handle a juvenile beardie and what’s are the best things to feed them.

Thanks so much in advance!!

96317-5973927318.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah 8 weeks old seems about right, you handle them just like you would an adult, supporting their whole body and making sure not to squeeze them or pick them up by the sides. And if you have her or him on your chest hold them to your body but not tightly, just to make sure they dont fall off.

However i wouldnt call him a juvenile, i'd call him a baby beardie as hes still close to being a hatchling. For me 1-4 months is a baby/hatchling beardie, 4-12 months is a juvenile, 12-20 months is sub-adult and 20+ months is adult. However thats just how i see it.

As for feeding this is what i go by

1-4 months 3 times a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
4-12 months twice a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
12-20 months once a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
And then 20+ months every other day 10-20 bugs each feeding.

And of course daily salads in all age ranges, fed every day, usually collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens daily and then the occasional blueberry, banana, or red raspberry once or twice a week in their salad.

As for the bug portion i usually feed crickets, calciworms, dubia roaches, and turkish roaches for staples.

As for dusting, ones below 20+ months usually 5 times a week for calcium and 2 times a week for multivitamins. And then for the 20+ month olds usually 3 times a week for calcium and once a week for multivitamins.

As for treats i occasionally will give them hornworms, superworms or mealworms. Usually 5-10 mealworms, and then for hornworms and superworms 2-4. For mealworms i offer those once or twice a week and then with superworms and hornworms usually once a week or twice every two weeks. Hornworms can be offered a bit more than superworms can since they do have less fat and are mostly just moisture which is good for hydration in some cases but can cause diarrhea if given too many.

Ignore the treats until hes older than 6 months or so.

Vicky1234

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":2dfe4ycp said:
Yeah 8 weeks old seems about right, you handle them just like you would an adult, supporting their whole body and making sure not to squeeze them or pick them up by the sides. And if you have her or him on your chest hold them to your body but not tightly, just to make sure they dont fall off.

However i wouldnt call him a juvenile, i'd call him a baby beardie as hes still close to being a hatchling. For me 1-4 months is a baby/hatchling beardie, 4-12 months is a juvenile, 12-20 months is sub-adult and 20+ months is adult. However thats just how i see it.

As for feeding this is what i go by

1-4 months 3 times a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
4-12 months twice a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
12-20 months once a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
And then 20+ months every other day 10-20 bugs each feeding.

And of course daily salads in all age ranges, fed every day, usually collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens daily and then the occasional blueberry, banana, or red raspberry once or twice a week in their salad.

As for the bug portion i usually feed crickets, calciworms, dubia roaches, and turkish roaches for staples.

As for dusting, ones below 20+ months usually 5 times a week for calcium and 2 times a week for multivitamins. And then for the 20+ month olds usually 3 times a week for calcium and once a week for multivitamins.

As for treats i occasionally will give them hornworms, superworms or mealworms. Usually 5-10 mealworms, and then for hornworms and superworms 2-4. For mealworms i offer those once or twice a week and then with superworms and hornworms usually once a week or twice every two weeks. Hornworms can be offered a bit more than superworms can since they do have less fat and are mostly just moisture which is good for hydration in some cases but can cause diarrhea if given too many.

Ignore the treats until hes older than 6 months or so.

Thank you so much for all of your tips, this is amazing information. I really appreciate you taking the time!! Have a Happy New Year :) and thanks again, will definitely follow this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adhdogtraining
Top Bottom