Juvenile bearded dragon not eating, stays in basking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsvargas13

Original Poster
He's currently shedding right now, and does have stress marks. I was told his lack of appetite and basking has to do with him shedding (maybe). Would a 100w house bulb be sufficient for a 20 gallon long tank?

Jsvargas13

Original Poster
I just read your post on the light fixture. Thank you so much I'm calling my local walmart right now to see if they have it in stock. I hope this new tank makes him feel better. If not the vet it is.

I have a big feeling this is all due to shedding and temps. I don't think the vet will be necesary. A 100 watt should be enough for the basking spot but youll have to checktemps on the cool side to see if tthey're warm enough. If not we can tackle that with another lower wattage bulb. What are you using to take temps?

Jsvargas13

Original Poster
ToothlessC":2ggebu4o said:
I have a big feeling this is all due to shedding and temps. I don't think the vet will be necesary. A 100 watt should be enough for the basking spot but youll have to checktemps on the cool side to see if tthey're warm enough. If not we can tackle that with another lower wattage bulb. What are you using to take temps?

I use an infrared thermometer. I was thinking of purchasing this fixture the the reptisun 10.0 tube:

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix#ip/Lights-of-America-24-Fluorescent-Blacklight-Fixture/16879944

Is this okay?

Jsvargas13

Original Poster
Which tube should I get? Reptisun 10.0 uvb t5 HO lamp or reptisun 10.0 uvb? There's a significant price difference at petco.

The fixture you linked to works well.

Don't get the reptisun 10.0 HO t5 or whatever it is. It uses a t5 fixture instead of a t8 fixture. If money is a problem I would buy the Reptisun 10.0 from Petco or whatever and order one from Amazon. When the Amazon one comes in return the Petco one.

Jsvargas13

Original Poster
ToothlessC":fc5xeace said:
The fixture you linked to works well.

Don't get the reptisun 10.0 HO t5 or whatever it is. It uses a t5 fixture instead of a t8 fixture. If money is a problem I would buy the Reptisun 10.0 from Petco or whatever and order one from Amazon. When the Amazon one comes in return the Petco one.

I see. I didn't know what the difference was. Money isn't the issue, I just want to make sure Si has the proper lights for his tank.

Jsvargas13

Original Poster
Is 18" fine or would the 24" be more suitable for a 20 gallon? I'm sorry for all the questions. I just want to get this right. I really appreciate all your help! thank you!!!!! :D

Either would work. The guideline is that it should run 1/2 - 3/4 the length of the cage. The 18" might be a little better if you have a 20 gallon long. (30" long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom