Just starting out AND with a sick BD (I think)??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDshaggy

I posted 4 days ago on another BD site because I hadn't found this one. That one proved to be a dud so I am hoping some experienced BD owners from this site can calm my fears, help me and get me pointed in the right direction. This is what I had posted on the other site 4 days ago:

So here it goes:

Someone gave us (inexperienced BD owners) a 1 year old, 12 inch BD 3 days ago. He is super cute and actually quite alert BUT my mothering instincts are telling me that he’s very malnourished and possibly has MBD. I don’t have a scale to weigh him and frankly not a ton of money to put into him since he was pretty much left on our doorstep.

He seems to have good color and like I said, he’s alert, eyes open and looks around. He doesn’t have any signs of drainage and isn’t making any weird sounds. He does however have quite a good size bump under his skin on the lower part of his back. I have watched his legs twitch a little so that and the bump are making me think MBD.

He has come to us in a 40 gallon tank, sand substrate, Zilla florescent light (I think this is the UVB) and a red bulb Heat Glo 75 watt lamp. There are a few things in the tank and a nice rock /log basking area under the lamp. All they fed him were meal worms and they never mentioned giving him calcium.

Temps - there is a suction mounted thermometer in the middle of the tank which is reading about 78* daytime and 70* nighttime. I know it’s not an accurate way to measure, but I would imagine then the heat under the red light is hotter. Ack!! The light/heat thing is really stressing me out since I know how important it is. Not to mention the bump on his back and lack of willingness to eat!

We got him Friday and haven’t fed him any more mealworms. He ate 3 large crickets that we put in his tank and I have been giving him water via syringe. He has access to water in his tank and now some lettuce and pellets that have been spritzed with water. This morning I mixed some papaya with a little water and sprinkled it with some Calcium w/out D3 and syringed it around his mouth. He lapped up a little bit. I put him in a warm bath and my concerns about his extremities were calmed because he was crawling all over. He has had one bowel movement that I have noticed.

What should his normal activity level be? He crawled all around in the bath which made me happy, but I think because he’s malnourished, he tires quickly. He pretty much just hangs out under the light. I have moved him around in the tank to the food and to the water. I have also seen him move around on the warmer side of the tank. I have just not seen him "get up and walk". Is he supposed to walk on all 4’s? I’ve just seen him kind of move along, but not really "stand up" on his legs.

Hmmm... what else? I just have this overwhelming concern that something is wrong. Maybe there isn’t, maybe he’s not supposed to move around the way I think and maybe he’s not eating the greens and/or the little pellets because he has never had them before and/or he is still getting used to his new environment?? We got some Zoomed vitamins that we can give to him as well, can it be mixed with the calcium? He’s not eating hardly anything so maybe mix it with the syringed water??

Please, whatever advice you have, I’d love to hear it. I have been reading so many thing on them the last couple of days, my head is spinning. Like I said before, I don’t have a ton of money to be going out and buying new lights, food and/or vitamins for this little guy so is there some things that are more of a priority now that I should be getting and can work on the other stuff?

PS - since we have never had a reptile before or know anyone who has, I am not sure about an veterinarian who specializes in reptiles. Calling around today is on my list of to-do’s to find one if the consensus is that he absolutely should be seen by one.

That was 4 days ago. Since then, I think I've seen some improvement.
Eating - I bought some small crickets which I have dusted with calcium w/out D3 and have fed him 6 a day. He wont eat them willingly though, I have to open his mouth and then he will take them. He is offered greens every day and also a different fruit/vegetable to see if he will eat - NOPE! I have mixed some BD pellets in the food and nothing. Today he has squash (diced small and softened) and papaya (mashed) and it smells good to me, but he just turns around to it. He loves to be in the warm bath and just falls asleep - he's been getting them every other days since I think too he might have been dehydrated. Every day I have been giving him water from a syringe and he does lap a little bit up. Too much water?

Bowel movements - this I have concluded is the reason he lifts his legs (or as I previously thought what was leg twitching). I haven't seen a giant bowel movement, but rather a couple little white balls about the size of pea.

Heating - I know he's getting enough, he likes to sit pretty much all day on his basking rock and sometimes has his mouth open to the lamp. The weather outside is getting nice enough to have turned the a/c off and open the windows so it's gotten a little warmer in here than usual. When that happens, he does get down and move a little closer to the cool side.

I was really concerned about him not getting up and "walking" and that because of the large hump/bump on his back that he might be paralyzed. The first day I put him in the bath though he moved all over and every extremity seemed to be working properly. That no longer is such a large fear and the only thing I can think of now is that he was malnourished and weak with very little to no muscle mass. We're working on the eating part and I think that the more he moves and maybe some OT time in the tub with help to increase his muscle. Am I on the right track here? What am I forgetting?? I'm sure it has to do with lighting, but that I am working on. Thanks for taking the time to read this, I really appreciate it and if you comment, I appreciate that too!

BDshaggy

Original Poster
Here's a couple pics of this cute little guy. Maybe it will explain more and it will FOR SURE let you see that hump/bump on his back I was talking about:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there ! It's so nice of you to try + help this poor little guy ! Yes, he has MBD, that's what has caused the lump....the bones become brittle, may develop fractures + then try to over compensate by depositing any calcium available in those spots. Well, it's a good sign that he's eaten a few things, and very good for him to drink as you offer water via syringe or eyedropper. He may be somewhat impacted since only little white urates [ that's pee for a lizard ] and nothing else is coming out. Try offering baby food squash mixed with water + applesauce and or either veg.oil or canned pumpkin. Use a feeding syringe and drip some on his mouth to see if he'll lick it up. if he doesn't, try wiggling the syringe in the side of his mouth [ not straight in ] and he should gobble it up. A few hours after that , but not too late, give a shallow warm bath to see if he'll poo more. And you're correct, the lights need changing...first off, look at the fixture that the fluorescent bulb is in + see if it has a plastic shield. that would block ALL the UVB. So get rid of that, and then get a Reptisun 10.0 tube . For heat you need a basking spot of about 105, so ditch the red light [ no good for reptiles anyway ] and get a common old fashioned house bulb, about 100 watt to get the basking temp. up. He needs the high temp. to digest food properly and to help absorb the calcium. Is it warm enough to take him outside ? That will give him some good UVB until you can get the right bulb. And you will need the calcium WITH D3 for him. If he doesn't eat much, put it in the baby food mix so you are sure he's getting enough calcium. There are also members on here that sell liquid calcium, Tracie [ user name is drache613, she's also mod.,] and beardeddragon.co both sell it. Hopefully you'll give the poor guy a decent life, at least he'll be comfortable and cared for. It's good that you came here, you'll find lots of help. Keep up the good work !

BDshaggy

Original Poster
I am so sad about the MBD. I know the people (not real well) we got him from and it was their preteen's pet, in his room so it doesn't surprise me that he wasn't properly cared for. Thank you so much for all the great advice. I took the plastic cover off the fluorescent (which happens to be an 18 inch Zilla Desert 50 UVB light), but have no idea how old it is so I will look into getting that replaced. I took out the red light and put a 100 watt house light in and will go to the store tonight for baby food as well as calcium with d3.

If he's supposedly never eaten anything other than mealworms, will he ever eat crickets or veggies/fruit on his own? I am a stay at home mom and have a little more time to devote to caring for him more than others might, but it would be nice to see him be a little independent eventually. He would probably be much happier then as well. I have lots of questions about the MBD and think I'll start another thread for those.

Thank you again for all the advice and suggestions, it's much appreciated!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. He will always be special needs to a certain extent....even if he never gets to where he can chase a lively cricket you can hand feed him for a while, or just stun the crickets enough by shaking them hard in a jar so they are very wobbly + coating them in calcium. You can also get Phoenix worms or silkworms. You want the basking spots low so he can get up easily, maybe a ramp made of slate or log that's wide + easy to climb on. He may do better with a good new UVB bulb, the Reptisun 10.0...but get the tube, [not a compact or coil.] You can but it online from Amazon.com, beardeddragon.co or Petmountain. Be sure that the UVB bulb is within about 8-10" from the basking spot. Those are the first things to take care of, and other people will chime in as well. :)

nursejones813

Juvie Member
Awe he's cute! One thing I can think of from your post, is the sand. You may want to ditch it and just use paper towels, non adhesive shelf liner or tile. Sand is hard to clean. It harbors bacteria. Also, if he eats it (and they lick everything) it could cause constipation or impaction. Glad you are willing to take care of the poor little guy! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom