Just got my first bearded dragon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirandor

Okay. I just came home with my first bearded dragon and I'm lost to what to do next. The people at the pet shop said he'll probably be pretty unactive and not eat so much during the first few days because he's getting used to his new enclosure, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong. The kit I got neglected a basking rock so I just put the water bowl they provided there for now, since it's Christmas eve and I probably won't be able to go to the pet store again until the 26th. I'm concerned that that won't be right for being in the hot side. Also, since it supplied a water bowl, should I put a bowl of water in with him? Because I've read not to do that and that he'll just get his water from food and spritz him with water, but should I? And should I take it out of the hot side or keep it in until I can get a proper rock? And should I try feeding him in the first day or just leave him alone? And should I try to handle him at all or wait until he's more used to his enclosure? Also, I can only get the heat on the hot side up to about 90, and I read that 100-105 is the goal temperature, but I'm using my at night dark light and day blue light and It's not getting there, am I doing something wrong? I did research up to this point, but I don't know how to get the ball rolling here and I really don't want to end in the death of this lizard since he's my first reptile.

kio

Its okay to be a little confused and unsure. Leave the water in there. Beardies dont just get their water from food and spritzing. You may come across that your beardie isn't drinking from the water bowl thats normal. If you wanna learn some more techniques message me. Leave it on the hotside until you find a rock, which you should get as soon as possible. I understand that its the holidays but try to. Definetly try feeding him crickets and leave a bowl of mixed greens. He probably has relocation stress (if he tries to run away from the crickets and escape). A great way to destress him is to give him a bath. Fill the bath with warm water about up to the beardies ankles. (If your beardie is small bathe him in a sink) Rub his back and gently splash water on it to help him. You can handle him, I would recommend it so he gets your sense of smell and you get to know him. If he starts getting really dark put him away. Well it really depends on the age, if he is young he needs to be around 110-115 an older one needs to be around 100-105. If you want to get his tempature up purchase a heating pad to heat up the glass that really helps. Most of these things really depend on the beardie, its age, personality, past living conditions. Message me with any questions and reply how the things went! :mrgreen: Merry Christmas and a happy new year! Oh and congrats you will find beardies are fun, loving, unique, and the cutest things ever!
~Kio

Mirandor

Original Poster
Thank you so much! I gave him some crickets and he immediately perked up and chased them around and ate them all until they were all gone, I was just worried about him because he was just lying there and being really lethargic, but he must've just been bored because he chased them like he was getting paid! I have to keep myself from over feeding him, he's just so cute and active when he's chasing down the crickets, it's adorable! I definitely have some shopping to do for him, but the timing is just horrible since most places will be closed tomorrow and the family wants me here. I filled up his bowl with water and placed him near it and put some on my finger, which he licked off, but he continued uninterested with the water bowl. I'll try again later and if I have no luck I might take you up on that offer for some tricks. Also one thing that he keeps doing when he's under the lights is closing one eye at a time or sitting there with both eyes shut, is that because he's tired or the light is too vibrant? Or is that normal? And I'll try giving him a bath once my four year old sister is asleep, I can see it going downhill fast with her "helping" me, she's so curious and fearless with him, it's pretty awesome but I worry that she's being a bit too rough. Thanks again for the advice!

LLBlue

What type of light is it? Unfortunately the coil lights that are sold at many big box stores can be bad. Hopefully someone will chime in with more information on that.
I don't think that you need to worry too much about overfeeding him the crickets - as long as he is interested in them, I'd keep giving them. The only thing is not to leave uneaten crickets in there with him because they might injure him.
Does he have any salad in with him? He may not eat it, but it is good to put it in there.
I personally would take the water out because it can increase the humidity too much. You can soak him by getting a little tray of shallow (up to his elbows) water and placing him in there. He will also get water from eating salad.

Mirandor

Original Poster
The coil light is a desert series 50 20 watt fluorescent coil bulb from Zilla. He keeps keeping his eyes shut so I'm thinking that might be it. Should I try turning it off for some time and see if he keeps with it?

LLBlue

Hopefully bumping this up will get you better advice than I can give.

I am sorry that you were sold a coil UVB light as there are a lot of problems with them. I think that the lights that are typically recommended are Reptisun 10.0 bulbs or Arcadia 12% bulbs. I have a Powersun mercury vapor bulb that provides both UV and heat because it works well with my set up, but those bulbs are a little more expensive AND can also have some problems (although I have had one for many years and hopefully it isn't causing problems). I would suggest seeing if you can replace your coil bulb with a Reptisun bulb as soon as possible and replace the coil bulb with that. You can usually get better deals online but I would definitely be looking to change that coil bulb out as soon as possible and then shop for bargains and the best deals when it is time to replace the light the next time around.

My RaJa closed his eyes like that too when I first got him at that time he also had the coil light.. I ordered the reptisun 10.0, tossed out the coil lighting, got the reptisun 3 days later and he loved it! He was so active and so happy..those coil lights are horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom