JUst got my dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakester1990

Hatchling Member
at 2:30p.m i got my dragon at the local pet store it is bright red/orange i named it (dont know if boy/girl) rocky so far i feed him 6 crickets its only 3 weeks old and some what active i have a 40 gallon tank i got for free and alot of other stuff...I have acouple question.

1. how do i give it a bath? with soap or just get it soaked

2. how much should it eat a day?

mybeardiebabies

For bathing, just let him soak and play in barely warm water up to his shoulders. If you're bathing in something that can be slippery you might want to put a washcloth on the bottom so he doesn't slip and get scared.

Baby dragons can eat A LOT! I have 2 hatchlings, and each eat about 40 to 50 appropriately sized insects a day. Be sure they're dusted with calcium that doesn't have phosphorous, and feed as much as he'll eat in 15 minutes 3 times a day.

There's some great caresheets here and a lot of really knowledgable people. As a rule, don't listen to what petstores tell you or try to sell you. Some want your money and others just don't know. There's a few good ones though. The best thing is to look at a lot of different sources and trust what your heart tells you is best. Do that, and you'll do great with your new baby.

Jakester1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
40 or 50 cricketss wow i should by more than 50 crickets i thought that should be enough. i hoe hes alright i have to feed him in the morning reallly good

mybeardiebabies

It may take some time for him to start eating that much. Sometimes babies go through a stress period when they're first brought home. Double check that you have the right temps and UVB lights for him, and be patient :)

When you buy crickets, be sure they're no longer than the space between your baby's eyes is wide, otherwise he could become impacted, which sometimes kills babies :(

Jakester1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
its in a 40 gallon tank and a 75 watt bulb i bought at petsmart and a infered light 75 watts i also bought for it at petsamart. i did not buy a temp thin b/c they wanted $10 for one so i got to get one in the morning. i am also thinking to buy a big bulb light 90watt or 100watt b/c it gets cold in the basement in my room at night and i want it to stay nice and war.

mybeardiebabies

You don't need any light at night for your baby. He'll be fine in temps as low as 65 and light can keep him awake and make him not feel so good. Get a digital thermometer with a probe, not a petstore thermometer. You can get a good one at walmart for about $10 in the hardware section. Get the indoor outdoor type, and set it to outdoor, with the probe on the basking area surface. That temp needs to be between 100 and 110 degrees, closer to 110 for a baby, but not over that.

Did you get a UVB light for him? What brand and model? Some aren't as good as they claim to be.

barti1

Gray-bearded Member
Be sure to try not to get a beardie that young next time. Even with proper care there is still a chance in him dying. The Care sheets will answer your questions. Most have been answered already :lol:

PastorAaron

Juvie Member
how do i give it a bath? with soap or just get it soaked
Do Not Soak a Beardie in Soapy Water! Warm tap water is fine. Chemicals in soaps can and will bring about adverse effects on reptiles in general. I even avoid soaking in areas that chemicals have been used. No level of rinsing is enough for me...
Best of Blessing with the beardie though! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom