Just chillin... All the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddysfam

Just wondering if its normal that Buddy "just chills" all the time? I hear people talk about their beardy running around and being squirmy, but Buddy just likes to chill and hang out. If he is watching tv with us, he just hangs out, when he's in his terrarium, he is just chillin... He just seems really relaxed. Is this normal? I know they can be relatively lazy, but does his behavior mean he's just comfortable with us? He's about 8-9 months old...

popsickle18

Juvie Member
As long as he is healthy, I wouldn't worry at all. My first dragon, Puffy, did the same exact thing. He never squirmed in my hands a day in his life! He loved being held and would sit on my lap or my chest for however long would let him. He could be in the same spot in his cage for hours on end too. I wouldn't be worried. You just happen to have a very relaxed bearded dragon! As long as you are not confusing his relaxed behavior with him being lethargic. Make sure all his temps are good and he is eating well. If all conditions are good then he is fine! :D

Buddysfam

Original Poster
Whew! Yes, he eats just fine, poops regularly in his bath and seems generally happy! I'm just relieved to hear that his behaviour is normal.

Thanks so much!

Chaosadnd1

Hatchling Member
I was actually wondering the exact same thing about Buttercup. She eats like a champ but basically never "runs around" like I often hear. She is basically always at her basking spot until it's time for bed. She eats about 35-40 dubias a day, so she eats just fine, and is in constant shed.

Not very active at all though.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Lol, Harley is completely opposite. She is never in 1 place for more than 30 mins unless it's close to bedtime and then she stares at me on her hammock till I pick her up and let her go to sleep on me in her blanket. Other than that, she is always running or jumping in her cage and then when I put my hand in there, she jumps on that and sits on my shoulder while I do stuff or i'll let her run on the couch. She actually doesn't eat as much as she used to. Only about 20-30 dubias but I do feed her kind of big ones. About 1/2 inch or so dubias with her being just over 8 inches so she fills up pretty fast. Hilarious watching her run around the couch with this huge potbelly :lol: I think each beardie has their own personality. Some are active while others just gel out.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Id give anything for me dragon to be like Harly. Helius stays under his heat lamp or uvb light. All day. Sometimes, he'll stay under one for the entire day!!!! Not once coming down. When he's out? He'll stay on me however long I let him. He pretty much just stays still. If I let him "run loose", all that consists of is staying in the same spot then eventually finding a dark place to hide and vegetating there until I get him. Thats my lizards life. He is a pet rock. I kinda get down about that. The big perk though, is he really does love being loved on big time.

I hope we get more responses I want to know how many are laid back and how many are like Harly and if anyone is as bad as Helius

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Lol pet rock. Sometimes I wish Harley was like your pet rock. When I take her out, she will usually chill on me for a little bit, then it's usually up the arm to the shoulder and then back and forth on the shoulders and recently she has this thing where she tries to get to the top of my head. I have really short hair so she plays hell trying to get a grip. Then when I sit on the couch, she will leap over to the top of the couch and sit there for a little while. Then runs down the couch and leaps over to her cage table and either looks around there or glass dances trying to get INTO the cage :lol: Like I said, she is a very alert, explorer beardie. She is a baby though so that's prolly why she is so active. I'm sure she'll turn into a rock when she gets older haha.

Awww Helius is such a mellow guy. Can't wait for Harley to get big. I loved how he saw the nice hidey under the dresser and squeezed in haha. My question is how the hell do you get him out? Entice him with a treat? :p You ever have one of those hornworms bite your beardie? I read on chameleon forums where hornworms have spun around and bit the lizard on an eye turret. Been thinking of trying small hornworms for Harley but those things actually gross me out as well as i'm scared she might get bit. I don't mind roaches, phoenix worms, crickets or stuff like that but those neon green hornworms creep me out haha.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
This .. is the only thing that can make a pet rock move. A hornworm. And this, is what it looks like when he eats one. Disclaimer: Have barf bag at your side before viewing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnvbMDsI9zw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No I've never had a worm even try to bite. We've also played around with them and havent been bitten but their little legs/feet are scary when they grab you. Their real "sharp".

When Heli gets under things, we have to actually flip furniture or get broomsticks to get him. Cause ... well, other than for a hornworm, rocks dont move.

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
Thats how Noodle is with me. Her lights come on at 8:30 and she'll bask for an hour to 2 and move to to her log and pretty much lay there all day. When I take her out she will stay laying on me if I put her on the floor she stays in one spot all day she might move a few steps but rarely. She eats some greens I'm having problems with her eating more supers than greens since she is 2 I know she needs more greens but she would rather eat supers. She has a BM (Bowel Movement) frequently. There are only 2 times where she went a week without pooping and last week was one of them. Her poops don't smell like bring tears to your eye or clear the room, so I'm sure she doesn't have parasites.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Ugh, I've worried so bad all year or so long. Now I feel so much better, because that is exactly how Heli is!

Btw he wont eat veggies. I mean not one bite and hes almost 2 now. Its very distressing. He's overweight in my opinion and he only has bowel movents like once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom