Just a couple of questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

We bought our new beardie home on Sunday and he hasn't been to the toilet since. Is this likely to be due to the stress of him moving and he just needs to settle in or could it be something more serious?

The shop told us to put walnut sand down for him but we have since read how dangerous this can be (he is only 2.5 months) and have therefore changed it to kitchen roll. He has been eating crickets and the odd bit of veg but none of it has passed yet. Is it likely that the substrate has caused impaction already - we have been hand feeding him to lessen the likelihood of him eating sand at the same time as his food but are concerned nonetheless...

Also, yesterday we noticed he was sat on his basking rock and had his tail high up in the air (which we think means he is alert???) but also his back legs seemed to bend the wrong way round, as if his feet were bent backwards. He didn't seem to be in any discomfort and soon righted it when he started walking - just wondered if anyone knows why they do this?

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Claire, Dan & Princess Bob

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Hey and congratz on your new baby!
First, they lay in very odd positions some times. I don't know how they could possibly be comfy but they are. As long as he walks fine, don't worry.
Second, impaction is possible with the substrate he was on. Are you bathing him? If not start giving at least one 15 minutes soak in baby warm water each day. Typically I wouldn't worry a whole lot over not pooping for a couple of days, but because of his/her age and previous substrate I am a bit more concerned. You can also give unsweetened apple sauce with a drop of olive oil to help it pass. You can try letting your baby lick it off a spoon, but you will probably have to put it in an eyedropper and drip some onto his nose where he/she will lick it off.
Keep us updated!
Hoping for poop!!
Sara

leelasmom

Hatchling Member
princessbob":cf33b said:
Hi all,

We bought our new beardie home on Sunday and he hasn't been to the toilet since. Is this likely to be due to the stress of him moving and he just needs to settle in or could it be something more serious?

The shop told us to put walnut sand down for him but we have since read how dangerous this can be (he is only 2.5 months) and have therefore changed it to kitchen roll. He has been eating crickets and the odd bit of veg but none of it has passed yet. Is it likely that the substrate has caused impaction already - we have been hand feeding him to lessen the likelihood of him eating sand at the same time as his food but are concerned nonetheless...

Excellent decision to remove that other substrate - it's not good. How long was he on it? I'm guessing that's what the shop had him on the whole time...

My new beardie Leela was also on bad substrate (presumably for the whole time prior to her rescue) and I was worried about impaction, too, but luckily she pooped the other day w/ no problem.

Try bathing him in lukewarm water for 10-15 minutes each evening. I've also seen advice on giving mineral/olive oil, etc... I am sure the more experienced beardie owners will have more specific information for you...hang in there!

princessbob

Original Poster
Thanks for your answers. We will give him a soak later and see if that helps.. do you think he will be ok in the sink as he is so small?

Yes i could have sworn he was in the sand in the shop but i am going back there tonight to get more crickets so i will have a look.

He hasn't eaten a great deal compared to what iv been reading.. probably 4 or 5 crickets a day and the odd green (we have given him more he just hasn't bothered) so maybe he just doesn't need one yet?

Will try the oil as well :D

Congratulations on your rescue leelasmom.. how long was it before your little one had a poop? (if you dont mind me asking :oops: ).

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
It is possible tha he is suffering from relocation stress thus not eating thus not pooping. However, it's also possible that he is feeling full from too much poo being left inside and thus doesn't want to eat (just as humans really don't feel like eating when they're constipated). The sink will be fine for him. Just put in water up to his arm pits. I leave a wash cloth in with my little one because she likes to hold onto that while she bathes (I keep her butt off the wash cloth, though). I give Lilly baths every other day just to keep her hydrated.
Sara

leelasmom

Hatchling Member
princessbob":871fe said:
Congratulations on your rescue leelasmom.. how long was it before your little one had a poop? (if you dont mind me asking :oops: ).

We got her on Saturday, and she finally pooped yesterday in her waterbowl. I noticed her hanging out in it for a little while - then when she got out, I took a look and there it was! So it seemed like she just "knew" to go in it for that reason. Otherwise, she doesn't really go into the waterbowl. She gets her hydration from direct misting, her greens, and now, her baths!

glad all is going well for you and your beardie now! about the less eating thing, this is normal since they're still getting used to you and the new home- my dragon didn't start eating hardily for a week i'd say, then he gradually increased his appetite, now he's up to forty worms a day :shock: so look out for a big appetite!

princessbob

Original Poster
oh yes cant wait for a big eater :shock: still getting used to feeding live food, it does creep me out a big (very different to dog food :shock: ) but iv been brave so far!

Anyway, good news.. he's finally done a poo!!!!!!!! :blob5: was quite wet so not sure if he wee'd as well or if he just has the runs a bit but at least he's done it!

Thanks everyone for the advice.. this is quite scary as it's a whole new type of pet for us so as you can imagine, worrying about every little thing atm!

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
:blob5: Yay for poop!! :blob5:
Just fyi (I hate to be a Debbie downer....) if the runny poop continues, the poop will need to be taken to the vet for a fecal exam. Runny poo can be a sign of parasites. It can also just be a sign of stress. The poop should be well formed, but its fine to have liquid around it. Hopefully it was just a one time thing! Feel free to ask more questions as they arise.
Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom