June bug safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some june bugs on my front porch and me and my brothers decided breed them for fun. Then I thought when we breed them to more june bug babies maybe feed them to our bearded dragons. But I want to be sure they are safe because I heard you can but be careful.

What I'm trying to say here is if we breed the june bugs and they have babies will the babies be safe since they are in a safe container supervised by us? So if the parents let's say were infected with pesticides will the babies be infected also, and is there anyway to be sure they are safe. I know my neighbor or anyone I know in my neighborhood hasn't sprayed any poisons besides laying down fake grass that lasted only 2 weeks or so.

So should I keep the grubs be just fun pets and breeding fun or same thing but also a beardie yummy snack? Thanks!! :D

Enderess

DragonDMagnet":l7jw6grr said:
I found some june bugs on my front porch and me and my brothers decided breed them for fun. Then I thought when we breed them to more june bug babies maybe feed them to our bearded dragons. But I want to be sure they are safe because I heard you can but be careful.

What I'm trying to say here is if we breed the june bugs and they have babies will the babies be safe since they are in a safe container supervised by us? So if the parents let's say were infected with pesticides will the babies be infected also, and is there anyway to be sure they are safe. I know my neighbor or anyone I know in my neighborhood hasn't sprayed any poisons besides laying down fake grass that lasted only 2 weeks or so.

So should I keep the grubs be just fun pets and breeding fun or same thing but also a beardie yummy snack? Thanks!! :D

To be honest, I would do more research on junebugs, just to make sure that they are completely safe for bearded dragons. I have seen people feed them, but I am not really sure about it.

As for the wild ones, I would do some research on junebugs, and maybe see if there is a way to tell if they are sick/have pesticides :?:

You can do what you want, be me being me, I wouldn't advise it, just in case.

Of course though, maybe if you wait a while until the junebugs children have children that have children, the possibility of pesticides might be gone.

I would wait and do more research though.

DragonDMagnet

Original Poster
Enderess":28l90s54 said:
DragonDMagnet":28l90s54 said:

To be honest, I would do more research on junebugs, just to make sure that they are completely safe for bearded dragons. I have seen people feed them, but I am not really sure about it.

As for the wild ones, I would do some research on junebugs, and maybe see if there is a way to tell if they are sick/have pesticides :?:

You can do what you want, be me being me, I wouldn't advise it, just in case.

Of course though, maybe if you wait a while until the junebugs children have children that have children, the possibility of pesticides might be gone.

I would wait and do more research though.

Ok I will, thank you! :3

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Had to look them up, we get them here too, we call the Xmas Beetles here.

The magpies snatch them in mid flight and eat them , and I've seen wild skinks (BTs and water skinks take and eat them when they crashland after hitting something hard (like a window or wall))so I they are OK to offer your dragon as really crunchie treats (so long as they haven't been fed plants that contain toxins).

DragonDMagnet

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":zfcxt3tf said:

The magpies snatch them in mid flight and eat them , and I've seen wild skinks (BTs and water skinks take and eat them when they crashland after hitting something hard (like a window or wall))so I they are OK to offer your dragon as really crunchie treats (so long as they haven't been fed plants that contain toxins).

Thank you also. Me and my brothers are breeding them to test our breeding skills and also found worms to help decompose the food we give them so they won't be eating anything toxic. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DragonDMagnet":2djn2a8h said:
kingofnobbys":2djn2a8h said:

Thank you also. Me and my brothers are breeding them to test our breeding skills and also found worms to help decompose the food we give them so they won't be eating anything toxic. :)

Their lavae (worms) are likely a better feeder insect , no risk of impaction as very soft bodied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom