Jet Black Beard and refusing to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbie

My dragon is about 5 years old. He went through a spell this spring where he got very shakey and stopped eating. After feeding him Repti-aid, he got better and started acting like his normal self. Was eating several worms a day although he won't touch any veggies any more. Now he is starting to turn his beard jet black and won't eat anything. He will drink and I can usually force 1 worm in him a day if I'm lucky. What could be going on? I can get some Repti-aid in him but not much. It looks like his stomach is puffed up too. He's pooing like you would expect. They look normal. Help! The nearest vet is in another county and quite expensive.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Sorry your beardies not feeling well :( .
I have a couple of questions that might help us figure out what's going on:
What TYPE and BRAND of UVB do you use?
How old is it?
What are temperatures: basking, warm side, cool side?
What do you measure temps with (digital w/ probe, temp gun, stick-on)?
What type of substrate do you use?
Have you had a fecal check done?
Sara

norbie

Original Poster
We use a red basking light - I truly can't remember the brand. I know it is a popular brand and one that was recommended by this group when he had his last illness. The temp is inside the tank on the side. It stays around 85 - 90 degrees. He also has a white light for day. THe bulb is only a few months old. He gets a lot of outdoor sun and a bath just about every day. He has never had a black beard before - maybe a little darker all over his belly when he's in the sun - but this jet black is worrysome. I use paper towels for the bottom of the tank. It seems the easiest to keep clean and not something he could eat. I haven't had a fecal test done because we don't have a vet around that treats dragons.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Hmm I'm very surpised someone recommended a red basking light. The bright white basking light is what a beardie needs for the day and they don't need any light at night. If the temp in the tank gets below 65*F at night, you need a ceramic heat emitter. These put out just light, not heat. Any light at night can disturb a beardie's sleep patterns. Do you have any type of long tube UVB light? If not, you need to get one. They cannot process calcium without a UVB light and this can lead to metabolic bone disease. The reptisun 10.0 tube is the best light. The cheapest I've seen it is http://www.petmountain.com. You really need a digital thermometer with a probe or a temp gun so you can find out exactly what your beardie's basking temps are. They need to be between 95-110*F for proper digestion. Paper towels are absolutely fine, that's what I'm using currently. The bloated belly makes me wonder if he has some type of parasites. Any vet should be able to identify parasites and give you a count. You can put that count on here and I should be able to find someone who can give you the correct dosage of meds and where to get them. I agree that the black beard is troubling so I'll try to direct someone more knowledgable to this post. Keep me updated on any changes.
Sara

norbie

Original Poster
You're right it isn't a red basking light it is really just a heat source. I have both UVB and UVA lighting. I just don't get why he would be normal and eating then stop eating his veggies completely and not even eat worms. The wierd black beard is new too. Thanks for the help.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
If you could find out the type and brand of UVB, that would help. Some of them have been causing problems. It should be on the bulb if you unscrew it. Is it a long tube, a compact, or a coil? Also, how old is it?

norbie

Original Poster
It's an EXO Terra Heat Glo 75 watt and then I have an All Living Things basking bulb at 60 watts

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which UVB light are you using, a flourescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light? How old is the UVB light? The Exo terra heat glo or the All Living things neither one are UVB lights. So, you have no UVB light then?
How long has the beard been black like that for?
When you say that the temperatures are 85-90, is that the ambient temps of the tank? If so, he is too hot. You are using 135 watts in his tank between the 2 lights. What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temps with?
How are you monitoring the temps in his outdoor enclosure?

Tracie

norbie

Original Poster
I thought the light bulbs covered both UVA & UVB. I've tried several bulbs. These are compact ones. The temp doesn't seem too hot for him. He is hotter after spending time in the sun. He usually gets 30 - 60 mins a day of sitting outside in the sun. I don't monitor the temps outside. There are potted plants on the table and he'll move into the shade when he gets too hot or I'll bring him inside. I sit with him while he is outside. The beard has been going black for a couple of weeks. It seems like he does it when he is angry. I say angry because he'll turn black when I make him eat. Since he won't eat I worry. I'll give the Reptiaid and I can sometimes stick a worm on the side of his mouth and he'll open up and eat it if I'm lucky.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, sorry to hear that your beardie isn't eating and his behavior has changed. Have you tried offering him chicken & squash baby food by putting drops on his nose for him to lick off? If not, I think you should try that because that way he would be getting some protein & a vegetable. Eating only 1 worm a day is going to cause him to lose weight. Getting a fecal done would be a good idea.

What size tank is he in, if you don't know the size, giving us the dimensions would be helpful. It's not a good idea to use a red bulb because it can be rough on their eyes. Bright white bulbs increase their activity level which also helps their appetite. I looked up pictures of both those bulbs and they aren't the compact type. These are actually compact bulbs:
cfl_bulb_mercury3.jpg

compact-fluorescent-bulbs1.jpg

So, you're actually using 2 basking bulbs but don't have a UVB light. This is the UVB light that you need to get: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html Without a good UVB, he will develop metabolic bone disease and also have all sorts of other health issues. Would it be possible to post a picture of him and your tank setup? What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps?

norbie

Original Poster
I went and bought a UVB light so now I have both UVA & UVB. I have some baby food - chicken, squash, applesauce - and have been able to get him to eat some. He is lethargic and his chin is staying black/dark grey most of the time now. He sleeps all the time and only seems normal in the morning. He is going to the bathroom but it is mostly water since he isn't eating anything much. Can't do a fecal without the poo. He just seems limp and his eyes are bulging which he keeps shut most of the time. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom