I've never seen eggs this big!! *Babies hatching!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my female laid 15 eggs last night and they're HUGE!! I told my bf that I think a velociraptor snuck into her bin and laid some eggs....they're big and long.
I measured them and they're around 1 1/4 - 1 1/2".
I was lucky and had an old hatched egg laying around (that were also slightly larger than normal)....the new eggs are about double the size of the eggs of the fully-formed and hatched baby's eggs. The embryo's in the new eggs are also very visible and VERY large. I really can't imagine how big these eggs are going to get over the next two months! And how big the hatchlings are going to be!
I was just curious if anyone has seen eggs this large before??

The egg on the very bottom is the old already hatched egg.
P3280700a.jpg

It was kind of hard to measure them as I couldn't really place the tape measure down flat next to them
P3280702a.jpg

And here's a shot of all of them
P3280701a.jpg

w0554096

Juvie Member
Haha, well you should get some interesting beardie/velociraptor hybrids! Definately post pictures when they hatch...If they don't eat you first. :p

CourtneyLS

Original Poster
HAHAHA!! That's what I'm thinkin!

I'm really, really excited for this clutch though! If I'm lucky, I'll get some gorgeous trans hypo leatherbacks.

Dave123

thats about the size of mine, im gonna post pics when the last 3 have hatched, I don't think the 8th one will because its been sagged in for about 3-5 days now and hasn't done anything... but something IS in there, the other 3 right now are hatching as I type this.

One (look for my other post in here) has this wierd defect and I hope it either falls off or fixes itself, its pretty wierd/gross looking... unfortunately I don't have a picture of it, but I'm gonna try and get one soon.

CourtneyLS

Original Poster
That would be so amazing if there were twins! All of the eggs are definitely big enough to contain twins or more. Haha.
Unfortunately, one of the eggs has gone bad. It was the one completely buried and covered by the other eggs. And one kind of started leaking fluids from the egg....but has since stopped and seems to be fine now. All of the others are getting even bigger!! I cannot wait until these little ones hatch!
A little less than a month to go before they hatch...

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, we now have to wait a whole month to see!!! At least I found this thread a month after you posted it, so now I don't have to wait AS long.. hehe

CourtneyLS

Original Poster
Ugh, yes, a month more! It feels as if it's been forever.
Here are some pictures to tide you all over for a tiny bit....they're of the parents.

Here's the mama, Glow Bug. She's an AMAZING hypo het trans
PB120768a.jpg

And here's the dad, Kermit....whose color is impossible to capture. But he's very GREEN!! He's a stunning translucent leatherback poss het hypo (I'm hoping he proves out)
PC140089a.jpg

PC140093a.jpg

PC140094a.jpg

CourtneyLS

Original Poster
lauraj1055":20kqk5fa said:
WOW! you are going to have some awesome looking babies. Are you selling them all?

Thank you! I'm really hoping for some awesome babies! I'm obsessed with trans and leathers, so I'd like to keep a female or two. But I'm definitely not going to keep all 15...well, 13 (I've lost two eggs now. The one that had leaked went south really fast).
I'm not sure how long I will be holding onto all of them though because I'm VERY interested to see what colors they are and how their color progresses with each shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom