Isopod enclosure upgrade!

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
1697913179442.jpeg

Yesterday I moved my pod colony into a 4 gallon enclosure (13” L x 8.5” W x 10” D)! A huge improvement, and it looks so much better! Turns out I was having issues with overcrowding in my old habitat, so this will undoubtedly sort out that problem!

I have a 5” layer of topsoil substrate, mixed with calcium carbonate, egg shell, and cuttlebone as an ample source of calcium for the new pods. I also boiled their leaf litter in water and calcium, and boiled the seed pods in water and vinegar. Everything has been heavily sanitized, and is safe for use now.

I’ll be updating the isopod guide with more information, seeing as I did get a few things wrong on there. I will also be adding a bioactive section in the guide, for those who are interested in them for use as a cleanup crew. Not trying to self advertise or anything, lol. But yeah, just thought this was interesting.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That looks great.
You have just about convinced me to try keeping them to 😁
One of the reptile stores here is selling bottles sealed with a cork, it's a bioactive setup with isopods and plants ect. He told me you only have to open it like every six months to add a little water, it's an entire ecosystem in a bottle. I'm seriously considering going back to get one.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
That looks great.
You have just about convinced me to try keeping them to 😁
One of the reptile stores here is selling bottles sealed with a cork, it's a bioactive setup with isopods and plants ect. He told me you only have to open it like every six months to add a little water, it's an entire ecosystem in a bottle. I'm seriously considering going back to get one.
Haha 😂 that’s great! If you do start a colony, feel free to ask me anything.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Haha 😂 that’s great! If you do start a colony, feel free to ask me anything.
Cool beans 🙂 you'll probably get tired of me lol. Anytime something new catches my attention I try to learn everything I can, the best way to do that is ask someone who knows 😁

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom