Isis isn't eating!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate221

Hatchling Member
Isis has been home for 2 days now. She's so little...I fed her yesterday and she ate several crickets....she's laid around all day today (she did poop) and when i fed her this evening,...she didn't seem at all interested. Is it normal for a baby so skinny to eat the day they come home,...then not eat again the next day?! Getting super worried!! The vet checked her before i brought her home and said everything was fine, but i'm kindof freaking out!! Don't want anything to happen to my baby girl!! :(

Mt3

It's more than likely stress from relocation. Some beardies experience it and won't eat for days, others will act like nothing's wrong. Just give her some time. Keep offering food at least twice a day and eventually she'll begin eating again. It can take weeks -- sometimes a couple months -- for a beardie to get completely used to her new environment, so be patient.

Kate221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Now that I think about it,...I think she ate the crickets BEFORE she got attacked by Loki. That may have had something to do with it. I'm just scared because she's so small...idk how long she can go without eating!! Should I try baby food or wait it out a little longer?

Mt3

It could have something to do with it, I didn't know she was attacked. She's probably extremely stressed from the ordeal and isn't interested in food right now.

Just keep offering the live food daily and keep her comfortable, I'm sure she'll come around in no time. It may take a few days, though. You can try offering babyfood, but don't forcefeed her with a syringe or anything, just put a little dab on her nose and see if she licks it off.

Kate221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have two babies,...the one I've had for about 3 weeks is alot fatter than her,..and about the same length,..His name is loki.....I had them both out of their vivs and Loki decided he did NOT like her getting my attention I guess. He started nipping the back of her head and tail. I put him back in his viv right away. I don't even think he got a grip on her but still, probably stressed her out!!

What flavor baby food is okay? I know they have like, 9,000 different types now! Thanks for your responces Mt3!

Mt3

Yeah, they'll tend to do that if they're introduced to each other. They're very territorial and the dominant beardie will be quick to attack the other. You probably already know this, but just be sure to keep them separated at all times. If it's necessary to have them out together for some reason, keep them under close supervision. Beardies have been known to not only eat another beardie's legs, arms, and tail, but there have been stories of them eating another beardie (and other reptiles) whole.

As for the babyfood, if you're supplementing a diet be sure to get one that offers a good source of protein, like chicken. Squash also seems to be a favorite. They may enjoy something a little sweeter at times, too, like pears. You may have to do some experimenting to see which ones your beardie will eat, as they all have their own preferences.

Kate221

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, The vet prescribed Isis prescription diet dog food....wet high calorie critical care A/D. She hates the stuff. Basically, I had to force feed her,....Gave her a bath in warm water, hoping in the morning things start getting better. Bless her heart, she just seems so tired all the time!! She didn't even LOOK at a cricket when i put them in her viv. today. Pretty disappointing but hopefully things start looking up soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom