IS this true?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the petstore today buying supers. The guy selling them told me to be careful, that I should cut off or smoosh their heads before feeding them to my beardie b/c they can survive if not chewed up and live INSIDE their bodies. Now this sounds ridiculous to me, but I've learned to never say never. Does anyone know about this???

peera

Sub-Adult Member
It's just a wives tale. A healthy dragon's stomach acid would kill them off if they lived that long. I've been bit by the things plenty of times, the spot doesn't even get red.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Ever see a beardie eat a superworm? I can't imagine one surviving it. They do chew them up.

strangepet

Original Poster
IT didn't sound like it could be true...but weirder things have happened. I am not happy to find out these things can bite though.... :roll:

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
You have nothing to worry about with feeding to beardies.Beardies do a pretty good job on their own killing supers without any help.In theory a large lizard like a Sav(swallows food whole) or a soft jawed lizard like a Cham could have a problem with supers this isnt the case in bearded dragons.

brunoboy

They do munch them up pretty thoroughly.

And YES supers DO bite-----little wiggly boogers------it doesn't really hurt, just gives you more of a CREEEEEPY feeling. Sometimes the feeling freaks me out so much the superworm goes flying across the room, unintentionally.

I try to hold the super by it's tail, and then kind lightly rub it between my two fingers as it's trying to reach up and bite ----bruno LOVES this extra wigglin motion, locks on and grabs the little varmit. I also THANK bruno repeatedly as he chomps away.

I hope that makes sense.

LJean

Extreme Poster
brunoboy":1fe88 said:
And YES supers DO bite-----little wiggly boogers------it doesn't really hurt, just gives you more of a CREEEEEPY feeling. Sometimes the feeling freaks me out so much the superworm goes flying across the room, unintentionally.

I try to hold the super by it's tail,

LOL!! I use feeding tongs. Not going to pick them up with my hand. They can't bite you that way. ;) Though they are not always easy to pick up.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
I was at a pet store the other day and was told pretty much the same thing. Not only was I told they would bite, but that if you did not cut off their head they would eat their way out of the bd's stomach. :shock:

Dawn

patrickb

Juvie Member
I should spend more time at the petstores. I can just see the look on the employee's face when I ask them "How many times you seen that before?" and then they think about it and reply with "a lot of times" :) Nevermind the acidic effect of the juices in a beardies stomach, the superworm would drown in those juices before it had time to actually chew its way out I suspect. Might need to get a super and see how long it takes to drown em! :twisted: Then again, only thing I want to drown are crickets!

Fun topic. My 3year old pink-princess step-daughter loves feeding supers to Rudy and isn't grossed out by them in the least. I've been bit by them and I know she has had to have been,but never heard her complain. I have even had them latch onto my finger but experinced no pain. Like everyone else, I can't imagine one surviving the chompin' my Rudy puts on them, much less the stomach acids.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I heard this tail in the Petsmart store we go into upon occasion in Tucson. This person claimed to have had that experience with one of her beardies and that she used to breed. I don't go in their much but I, also don't remember seeing her in there since. I don't see how it's possible as I have had 6 beardies and all of them have chewed them up. Neither one of us has seen them swallow a superworm hole. All of them have chewed them up very well. My experience in this has convinced me that it's impossible for that to happen.

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
I knew a kid who had a sister who's boyfriends cousin ate a watermellon seed and a water mellon vine grew up and out his mouth. :twisted:
Eric

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
augsburg1530":d32e2 said:
I knew a kid who had a sister who's boyfriends cousin ate a watermellon seed and a water mellon vine grew up and out his mouth. :twisted:
Eric

I think I knew that kid too !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trishreyhui
Top Bottom