Is this the right size uvb for his tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann404

We have a t5 HO reptisun 10 uvb that's only 22inches (fixture 24"). We are working on his new, bigger cage. And would like to know if this will be enough uvb in his new cage that is 5ft long x 2ft wide? There will be other lights in there for brightness, only worried about his uvb exposure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would say yes it will work -- but I haft to ask how tall is the tank - some may say to get a longer one but I dont know why the 24" would not work - my tank is 4ft long and the 24" works fine - the dragon will sit where he needs to sit for the lights he needs - its the height of the fixture you need it to be correct - for a T 5 it needs to be 12-15 inches from basking decor inside the tank -
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
FWIW, I had to get up to within 9" (Reptisun T5, 10.0 with reflector) to get a UVI of 3.5 at the midpoint of the bulb (quite a bit less at the ends). It's possible I have one of the wonky reflectors, or a weaker bulb. We wound up getting 3 bulbs, and testing them with a Solarmeter (after they'd warmed up), got different values (± 2.0 UVI) for each one.

These are just my own results. Hopefully others' are more in line with published guidelines.

Ann404

Original Poster
The cage is tall. About 24inches. It has a hinged topper to hide the wires. So i can put the uvb on a chain so it can drop down. But is that 12 inches to the platform or dragons head hieght?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom