is this the beginning of mouth rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayadeth

hey

i have had this bearded dragon for around 6-8months now and hes been doing fine ever since runs around alot likes to sit in his basking spot, eats alot more than all of my other bearded dragons ever do in the day. i have never seen this on the other 4 of my bearded dragons i have. iv only seen this happen when he is in his shed, he starts to get saliva running down his mouth and it stays in the corner of his mouth and builds up and dries and looks greenish brown. here is a few pictures of his mouth.
he eats crickets super worms and veggies(mustard greens mostly) always dusted with zoomeds reptcalcium, as well as every 3 days he gets zoomeds reptivite.
http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/TheGeneral938/media/IMG_0646_zps12c6fd3f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/TheGeneral938/media/IMG_0644_zps98049635.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/TheGeneral938/media/IMG_0642_zpse9372c48.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/TheGeneral938/media/IMG_0641_zps44c80862.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/TheGeneral938/media/IMG_0640_zpsd17e5cc1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

any information would be greatful he does have a vet appointment at the end of next week but i wanted to get a second opinion so i know what i might be in for in the near future.

terrarium info:
cold side is 75-84
hot side is 88-94
basking spot 105
he has a repti sun 10.0 tube

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He only has this problem when he is shedding?
It could be just dried up skin that gets a little dirty when he eats. Do you see any mucous in his nostril areas or not?
Mouth rot looks or appears much different than that, but, can start with excess mucous in & around the mouth.
More pictures of the inside of the mouth would be helpful though.

Tracie

rdoyle225

My frist bearded had this and what was the matter with him, was his jaw did not line up right, not because of MBD it was just drool. The vets this it was because of poor breeding. I gave him to a friend of mine and he when to LSU Vets. The best Vets for reptiles around here

sayadeth

Original Poster
hey sorry for the late reply but when i look inside his mouth not really white its mostly pink still but i see on a few spots on his teeth it kinda has a weird yellowness to them hopefully he'll be alright by the time i get him to the vet and it wont be too late and cause serious damage

sayadeth

Original Poster
oh and about the drool yea i didnt notice it when i first got him but as of lately he has been drooling down the sides of his mouth and kind of dry up like the pics i have posted

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thank you. PIctures of the inside of the mouth would be helpful.
You can get some betadine & dilute it down to a weakened solution & dip a swab into it to help with cleaning the mouth.
Poor breeding/genetics can cause strange health issues, I will agree with that. If he has excess drool, it may just be a normal thing for him, or it could be caused by some mouth issues or possibly something in his diet causing it.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

sayadeth

Original Poster
hey thanks for all the replys iv got a vet appointment for him on tuesday its really hard to get a picture of his mouth so ill know for sure on tuesday and update you guys

thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you have an appointment at the vets. Let us know how things go.
How is he doing today?
It can be difficult to get a picture of their mouth, I know. How is his appetite, did he eat today?

Tracie

sayadeth

Original Poster
hey.

he eats everyday i like to hand feed him when i can so when i do hand feed him he always goes for the food in my hands and he'll probably eat 10 things out of my hand before he wants to stop eating either peice of spinach or a cricket or super worm , and hes still very active always running up nad down his tree and head bobbing at the other beardies on the other side of the room.

sayadeth

Original Poster
oh and aswell he always like it when i let him dirnk water out of a spray bottle he seems to enjoy that alot, around 3 times a day

sayadeth

Original Poster
well i got back from the vet today. she said everything seems to be fine he just needs a higher concentration of calcium in his diet she recommended crushing up tums and soaking atleast once a day and she gave me medicine to apply orally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom