Is this really enough heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in SC, where the temperatures are pretty mild. In wintertime our house doesn't drop below 70 and if it does the heat kicks on, so I don't use a heater at night for Sunbeam. She is in a 40 gallon glass breeder tank.

During the day, I have been using a 100 watt Zoo Med Repti Basking spot lamp and a 75 watt night bulb and this seems to keep her happy and her temps warm. However, when she is basking she gapes all the time.

Recently the 75 watt bulb went out. I don't know when, but Sunbeam's activity level hasn't changed, but she has stopped gaping.

My infrared "gun" says the new temps are 82-84. Her Mopani log however is about 92. Not the air, the log. Is this enough heat?

I would just get the same bulb I had before, but the bulb is harder to find in my area. I tried a 100watt night bulb, and she got super hot. The other one available is 60.

Is it possible that one lamp is enough to keep her warm, or should I look harder for her old bulb...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
92 is a little low. I'd shoot for about 100 or so if you can. You could try raising the basking area a little closer to the light, or perhaps step up to a 150w basking light.

felixandfideaux

Original Poster
I will try the 150 as I have one on hand. A 100 spot and a 100 red night light almost cooked the dragon. She was not happy.

felixandfideaux

Original Poster
I tried the 100 watt in a lower housing and the temp over the basking area went from 80s to 96-98. Everywhere else is in 80s so it looks like one bulb could do it. I will try 150 and see what I get. If one bulb can do it, my life just got that much easier...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
One bulb should be able to do the job nicely. I think it will come down to the correct wattage and the correct basking area elevation. You're very close to having the correct temps so it shouldn't take a huge adjustment.

felixandfideaux

Original Poster
I am having trouble with the right bulb. I have a 100 watt Repti Basking Spot lamp bulb, by zoo med. She doesn't like to lay under it. She lays to the side of it. I move it, she goes somewhere else. The temps are in the low 90s.

The 150 watt she ran completely away from her basking spot, but supposedly the spot was the right temp. It went to 107. I am also going to look for another ray gun to see if mine isn't measuring temps correctly.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
You can check that the bulb isn't making any hotspots, it's possible considering its a spot light. Undirected or flood lamps are preferred as the wider beam makes a more uniform and larger warm area. Checking your gauge is also a good idea.

Gaping isn't inherently a bad thing, it means that the temp is just a little warm and they are cooling off their brain while still heating their body. The main problems with too much gaping is it can lead to dehydration.

You can also consider offering multiple options for her to choose from. If she prefers 90 make sure she can have a spot that stays around 90 and have good UVB, and also provide one that is in the 100 range. She may prefer the cooler one and only use the hotter one infrequently. The goal is to provide a range of temperatures that the dragon can choose from as needed to reach its ideal body temperature, rather than a basking area of our choosing they stay glued too all day.

felixandfideaux

Original Poster
I spent the money and bought a new infrared temp gun. According to it the temperature is in fact the right temperature. It is one of the new Natl Geographic products and I can replace the batteries. My other one didn't and it was giving me the inconsistent readings that made me concerned.

I am going to take a couple of measurements to see if there is a hot spot with the spot lamp bulb. Otherwise Sunbeam is acting normally and active. Of course after I complain about her moving around, she was plopped right underneath it. I guess she doesn't like being 100* all day. go figure.

The gaping concerned me, because she was doing it a lot. Like for hours before bedtime. Light goes off. Mouth closes.

I am a perfectionist, so this pet is going to drive me up the wall. Lucky for her she is cute. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Haha lucky for her :D If she doesn't want to be right under the basking spot all the time, that's fine. As long as she has the 107 area available when she wants it. Cooper would sit in the basking area at around 104 for an hour or so at a time but then move off and be in the mid 90s a lot. It's normal for them to move around and self regulate temps a bit.

felixandfideaux

Original Poster
Trying a NatlGeo 100 watt flood to see what kind of heat I get. Curious, I guess. The Zoo Med Spot lamp is probably going to be just fine. It is weird having the tank feel cooler and her closing her mouth more often. She has stopped swimming in her food and water for now. Maybe waiting for the "weather" to be more consistent and for mom to stop messing around.

jarich

Juvie Member
That link was likely spam, seems to be a fair bit of it lately.

As for your basking lamps, I'd honestly recommend not bothering with the reptile branded ones. You can simply buy a regular outdoor halogen flood light at about a third the cost. Go for a nice wide one like a PAR 38. It gives you the same, if not a better, quality of light. In testing some of the reptile brand halogens, I've found some give off extreme spots of heat and light that can make your dragon sacrifice their normal thermoregulatory behaviour.

felixandfideaux

Original Poster
Are halogen lights safe to use sitting on a cage top? I also have dome lamps that are at a 150 watt limit. Are these safe to use with the halogen bulbs?

sue09

Hatchling Member
Did I get it wrong or did you say you were using a red night bulb? If so beardies dont like red bulbs at night as it disturbs there sleep, sorry if I did get it wrong. :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
felixandfideaux":q4afg3xj said:
I wasn't using red bulbs at all, but I was considering using them as an additional source of heat during the day.

Stick to white or full spectrum lights. Red bulbs will distort the colors of things. You can use the halogens in the fixture you have as long as the wattage is appropriate and the bulb fits. Same as with other heat bulbs, it can sit outside as long as you are mindful of the heat - it can melt plastic etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brohelphimlol
Top Bottom