Is this okay? 65gal tank/screened top/ zoo med slider hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to move Ozzy to a bigger tank.

We are thinking of a 65 gal (48 x 18 x 17) slider cage ( acrylic granite walls with slider front ) with a hinged screen top with a zoo med slider hood.

I am fairly certain of the cage choice but confused about the hood. Does it usually cover the entire top. The the website says it fits 12" depth/width tanks and ours would be an 18". Not sure if it would even function.

Also, I was hoping to feed crickets through the screened hinged top. Also, I am hoping to use the screen top to regulate air flow a bit. Not sure I want it covered from all the way from side to side. Could I use a 36" hood with a 48" tank? Or is the slider hood meant to cover the whole top and replace the screened top?

Sorry for all the questions... Just confused.

Slider hood
http://www.bigappleherp.com/Zoo-Med-Slider-Hoods?sc=2&category=22#

Cage
(scroll down to 50 gal granite for pic similar to 65 gal)
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=6

Screen (no pic with hinge - sorry) - the screen would cover entire top. Light hood - hopefully not.
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=22
Thanks

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
If you link to the website you are looking at it may help. I'm having trouble picturing it. My screen fits all the way over my tank. I would worry about it collapsing otherwise. If you drop crickets in through the hinge, just keep in mind you will have to get them back out in 15 minutes- not saying don't drop them in through the hinged part, just saying don't leave them in :D .

FourGremlins

Original Poster
Sorry Sara, I didnt explain it well. I added links to the webpages of the products I am considering. I think the thing that is really confusing me is how to easily access cage from top without a big hassle moving lights around. Currently my screen top slides forward a few inches, with lights still resting on screen, and I drop crickets in through small opening. This works well, but the lighting is crazy. I would like some setup for lighting that has the tube and two or three bulb type sockets with indivudual on/off switches. I know - I am lazy.

The screen would cover the whole top but hinge to open for access to tank (instead of sliding whole screen like one i have now). I think the Zoo Med Slider hood is really meant to be a hood tha covers the whole top and slides (similar to my current cage) for access. But I am hoping it would work just sitting on top of the screen as I like the set up.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Okay, I see what you mean. I don't think it would function with your tank, I think trying to use it would be a disaster waiting to happen. If you are crafty, you can build a custom 4'x2'x2' tank which would have the lights built in. There are directions on line (I can probably dig them up for you) and the lights are built in and the doors just slide open. I just turn my lights off and remove them everytime I want to get in her tank (only like 10 times a day lol).

FourGremlins

Original Poster
Thanks for your help, Sara. I think u r right about the slider hood. I felt the same and 2 opinions r always better than 1 :)

At this point, we r going to go with the tank/screen top and figure out a different light setup.

Have a great holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom