IS this normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it normal for my baby beardie to constantly open its mouth while basking?i did a search on the board & found it could be too hot or upper respitory infection. I dont see an mucus when he opens up & hes not making any wierd noises. is this normal? i am using a 100 watt exo terra sun glo incandescent buld for his basking lamp& i have his under the tank heater also he is in a 20 gallon is this overkill? i dont have a thermo yet so i dont know the temps i plan on going to wal mart tomorrow and getting one. Can someone please give me some info im really worried about my lil buddy

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It is more than likely that the temps in his tank are too high. For a 20 gallon, having both a 100 watt and undertank heater is a bit too much.

You need to get a probe thermometer to accurately measure the temps. If it's indeed too hot, your beardie could become dehydrated rather quickly.

JimboSlice

Original Poster
thanks for the reply for now i will turn the under the tank heater off while basking light is on & wil turn it on when lights out. Tomorrow i will go to walmart & get a thermometer to measure temps. i may also downgrade the basking lamp to a 75 watter
once again thanks

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
75 watt should be plenty for a 20 gallon tank. You don't want the entire tank to be heated, just the basking spot.

You are very welcome.

JimboSlice

Original Poster
yes i turned the under the tank heater off about an hour ago and he's basking and not opening his mouth anymore. but i will measure temps tomorrow just to be sure

LJean

Extreme Poster
Oh yeah measuring temps is important. I had good temps in Oscars viv for a long time. I switched bulbs (though the same wattage) and it was too cold. So then I got a higher wattage and it was too hot, LOL
Wish I remembered exactly which bulb I used when the temps were good. Once it was broken I threw it out and now haven't a clue. Try to remember what bulb you have (save the box thingy they come in) when you get good temps from one. ;) Saves time when it needs replacing.
That is my tip of the day. :)

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
That's good. It's not easy getting the temps "just right" for any sized tank. It's a very trying trial-and-error process that lasts forever, unfortunately.

I had Pookie for almost a year and I'm constantly turning on/off the heat emitter because some days it's just waaaay to hot, even if the room temp remained constant.

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
I know spraying water on them when they are dehydrated is good, but what about if they are getting too hot? Or does that just bug them? I put in a dimmer switch for the 100 watt light bulb for if it goes over 105 or 110 in the basking spot. But notice even if the temps are right in the basking spot he does go into his cave and vent.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Some beardies will like temps lower than 110 - like mine. A micro degree higher than 105 he'd be gaping.

Spraying water on them is only a trick to get them to drink water. It won't cool them down.

winq

my tank is (L) 2ft x (W) 1ft x (H) 1ft

i'm using zoomed 60W reptile basking lamp which is 8inch above the rock. my beardie oso open his mouth while basking. is this normal? :D

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
winq":2df0f said:
my tank is (L) 2ft x (W) 1ft x (H) 1ft
According to this website (http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/tipsandtables/l/bltanksize.htm), your tank is a 15 gallon.

winq":2df0f said:
i'm using zoomed 60W reptile basking lamp which is 8inch above the rock. my beardie oso open his mouth while basking. is this normal? :D
What are you measuring the temps with? Like I said before, some beardies just don't like higher temps, and yours might be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom