Is this normal

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
My bearded dragon is in his basking spot hes standing front legs extendednhead high looking up is this normal?
I checked the temps there 100
He doesnt eat alot he eats only a few bugs a day ( he wont take anymore)
Ive had him for 3 days now today is the first day he ate crickets he wont eat out his bowl either and doesnt run around his tank he stays in the same couple spots all day

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Thats the best photo i can get of his eyes that i have
His eyes look okay, you'll be able to tell. Know how bloodhounds eyes are super droopy to where you can see the inside.? Same concept.

A lot of babies are like that, you have to put it right in front of them or offer via tweezers. There are other feeders, dubias are super good aandi believe you can get tiny silkworms, which are also really good for them, too. I'd just keep offering bugs and a salad everyday and when he settles in a few days, he'll eat more. My Toothless didn't eat anything the second day because he was so stressed.

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
His eyes look okay, you'll be able to tell. Know how bloodhounds eyes are super droopy to where you can see the inside.? Same concept.

A lot of babies are like that, you have to put it right in front of them or offer via tweezers. There are other feeders, dubias are super good aandi believe you can get tiny silkworms, which are also really good for them, too. I'd just keep offering bugs and a salad everyday and when he settles in a few days, he'll eat more. My Toothless didn't eat anything the second day because he was so stressed.
Okay tha k you so much im gonna finish up the bugs i have now then go to a few diffrent places to buy diffrent ones for him to try i find the crickets move to fast for him as he does not hunt yet he on and off gets stress marks he also keeps waving at his reflection should i get somthing to cover the glass so he feels more comfy?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Okay tha k you so much im gonna finish up the bugs i have now then go to a few diffrent places to buy diffrent ones for him to try i find the crickets move to fast for him as he does not hunt yet he on and off gets stress marks he also keeps waving at his reflection should i get somthing to cover the glass so he feels more comfy?
You can cover the glass w/ newpapers magazine pages- construction paper on the outside --- he will go thru relocation stress and as long as hes eating thats good - get your lighting fixed that is going to help him adjust to his tank and surroundings faster - let him get used to you and his tank -- I am going to post some websites for insects - I recommend dubia roaches and some BSFL --
here is a website for a bowl that works good for salads and BSFL and small dubia roaches
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
www.dubiaroaches.com -- go by their chart on the website for roaches - insects no bigger than the space between their eyes - nutri grubs on this site are BSFL -- they are small larvae and a good staple feeder - use them as lures to the salad bowl drop in front of him in the salad
www.symtonbsf.com
www.aafeeders.com
you can get him some horn worms get small and feed off quickly they grow fast - super worms medium feed every other day on top of his salads 1-3 --
Nutrition Content ignore the kale info its a great staple feeder the info is outdated

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
He may be waving at you, he recognizes you're way bigger than him and he's just signifying to you that he's not a threat. You can try talking real soft and gently and give little pats and maybe offer crickets on tweezers, he could probably see them better that way. And make sure you're dusting the bugs with calcium powder with D3.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It can take babies a few days to settle in. See the dark circles on his belly? That is stress marks. They will clear up as he becomes more confident. Try using an eyedropper for water. Just place one little drop at a time on his snout till he starts lapping it up. Go slow and at his pace don't try to force the
water in it's easy to cause them to choke on it if you go to fast. Stay on top of hydration, babies dehydrate considerably faster than adults.

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
He may be waving at you, he recognizes you're way bigger than him and he's just signifying to you that he's not a threat. You can try talking real soft and gently and give little pats and maybe offer crickets on tweezers, he could probably see them better that way. And make sure you're dusting the bugs with calcium powder with D3.
The was my bed is i can see his tank but he cant see me so i think its at himself but i sit down and read my book to him softly feel him with tweezers and will but my hand slowley palm up infront of him somtimes while reading and give him tiny pets every so often while talking to him

Last edited:

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
The was my bed is i can see his tank but he cant see me so i think its at himself but i sit down and read my book to him softly feel him with tweezers and will but my hand slowley palm up infront of him somtimes while reading and give him tiny pets every so often while talking to him
That's good. A preliminary search on Google says you only need to spend an hour a day with them but I swear, the more time you spend, the more it'll pay off. If he let's you, get him out at bed time and set him in the crick of your neck or in your shirt on your chest and let him cuddle. He'll soak up the heat, it's great bonding and a good way to show him you won't hurt him. Offering him food directly from you is great bonding, too. If he is defensive when you try to get him out, just let him be. The second day, the shock wore off and evrrytime we tried to get Toothless, he'd hiss and try to bite. Now, 8 months later, he loves kisses on his chin and getting in your face so you'll talk to him and loooves cuddling anytime of day. It definitely pays off to put out the effort.

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
That's good. A preliminary search on Google says you only need to spend an hour a day with them but I swear, the more time you spend, the more it'll pay off. If he let's you, get him out at bed time and set him in the crick of your neck or in your shirt on your chest and let him cuddle. He'll soak up the heat, it's great bonding and a good way to show him you won't hurt him. Offering him food directly from you is great bonding, too. If he is defensive when you try to get him out, just let him be. The second day, the shock wore off and evrrytime we tried to get Toothless, he'd hiss and try to bite. Now, 8 months later, he loves kisses on his chin and getting in your face so you'll talk to him and loooves cuddling anytime of day. It definitely pays off to put out the effort.
Hes still skitish i can put my hand in the tank n somtimes hes okay but hes not ready to be handled quiet yet for cuddles but can i just say love the name toothless is adorable!

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hes still skitish i can put my hand in the tank n somtimes hes okay but hes not ready to be handled quiet yet for cuddles but can i just say love the name toothless is adorable!
I thought it was a great name, too.! He's rarely Toothless, though. We typically call him toofy or king toofs. 😅😅

That's good that he's kind of okay with you being near him, babies are typically less defensive than older ones, so I'd definitely keep at spending time with him. Did you give him a name, yet.?

Tigger_14

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Tigger
I thought it was a great name, too.! He's rarely Toothless, though. We typically call him toofy or king toofs. 😅😅

That's good that he's kind of okay with you being near him, babies are typically less defensive than older ones, so I'd definitely keep at spending time with him. Did you give him a name, yet.?
I names him tiggs cuz of his stripes

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom