Is this normal? My beardie hasnt eaten in like 4 days....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBL3

Hatchling Member
I mean he looks fine, hes up to his usual routines, basking, cage dancing he just wont agknowledge his greens or cricks.... Ive held one a few inches from his face n he just closes his eye.... :lol: like "nope cant be bothered" lol

ud'e think the more days go by he'd be hungrier but it seems like he cares less, each day..... Will he come around? He won't even agknowledge dusted cricks and thats what used to drive him nutty when ever he wouldn't eat.....

I dunno where to get superworms or other insects to diversify his food in my area..

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
Well - we all want to know - what's your set up?

What kind of lighting you got going on?
How long have you had your beardie?
How old is he?
Is he shedding?
Is he pooping?
Substrate?

You could try reptiworms or phoenix worms - you get those through mailorder.

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Nothing has changed in his habitate since ive had him for about 9 months.... basking temp is about 96-98 otherside temps are less 15ish 20 less, substrate sand.... the only time he sort of swallows a few grains is when he curiously licks it which is both rare and foolish of him.... otherwise hes fine, im very tedious about keeping his veggie bowl clean anytime he kicks up sand in it..... The way i feed him cricks is usually one at a time with prongs n drop it near him, at times i will just drop a few in but it works better how i usually do it.....he's rarely lethargic besides when hes basking lol...... Only thing i can think of is.. Im def a few months over due with his repti sun bulb..... :?

age im uncertain, i beleive about 1 year and a half.. when i got him he was about 6-7months old that was about 10 months ago.... He hasn't fully shed in a while.... he shed his face partially about a week ago and the latter half of his tail.... :?

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
today i dropped 3 cricks in his cage n he snatched them up quickly, then he ignored the rest and just went back to his high strung behavior of wall dancing, climbing on n off his log burrow and digging into the corners of the tank.....
shrug.gif

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yay, i brought kuma upstairs with me to the kitchen to watch me chop up his veggies. hes always well mannered when hes with me in new areas... he just sat there n waited till i was done n then i brought him back down, put the collards in his bowl n he ate a little bit..... :blob5:

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea this sucks... I don't understand my beardie... He hasnt eaten anything in prolly over a week...... His energy level is there though, all he does is bask, wall dance n dig into the corners of his tank....!!

I mean i been workin 50 plus hours this week so i barely see him but today I'm home and he's active.... He's pooped but they're very small.... the other day he only pee'd today he had a little poop and it looked normal but small because he hasn't been taking any portions of crickets... It's like he's on strike... i put a cricket in front of him and he just shuns it...

Although i got him to eat 1 o2 crickets one day but thats only because i dusted them.... But i can't just feed him dusted cricktes, it will be calcium overkill.... I don't know what to do!!! They don't brumate while awake right?

I really would like an answer please or some sort of direction... Some days i can't even get online FedEx is in peak season so my time on here is scarce but i cant stand to see this guy shunning cricks day in n day out... I give him collards daily and i think he eats a little but def, not enough or like he used too!!! :(

javi31

Has your beardie ever gone through brumation? It sounds like he could be. When mine starts, his eating slows down a lot. He will be active but he starts digging in corners, as if to make a bed! Eventually he will find a corner in the darker area and go to sleep for weeks. Hope this helps!

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
yea i mean i don't believe he's sick or anything at all, he looks healthy as ever just not eating...... I dont believe hes gone through brumation before, no.... hope thats the case n thanks. :?

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I really wish i could get some help..... At this point, ive gotten accustomed to him not eating but it just doesn't sit well with me.

I'm pretty sure brumation doesn't consist of Wall dancing, running back and forth, digging holes, scattering your collard greens all over the place and periodically basking.... This dude shuns both his collards and his crickets.. hasn't eaten in like 2 weeks.... i got him to eat 2 dusted crickets like 3 days ago n then by the 3rd one he just wasn't interested.. oh and wait he ate 2 green peas the day before that.......

His poops are mostly pee, that white stuff..... I don't understand, he was so normal and ate so well up until about a month ago..... when will he eat again? :(

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I would weigh him weekly to see if he's loosing a lot of weight or hardly any. Our girl, Goldie hasn't slept, other than at night, this winter but she's not eating that much. She isn't super active unless it's really warm. She hasn't eaten much this winter either. They both like to go outside, sometimes even when it's not quite warm enough for them.

That could be part of your problem. I noticed your temps are good, but I would like to know what you are taking them with. Do you have a digital thermometer with probe? or just a stick on? If that part was mentioned, I apologize as I just scanned the posts as I need to get to work soon. If you have a stick on thermometer, the temps in your tank may be too hot.

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i have a digi with probe his weight has slightly decreased in terms of his belly bot being gigantic from his normal feeding but it doesnt look overly worrisome....

I just don't understand brumation in general because how can they brumate/sleep with automated lights to begin with...? am i supposed to know when hes brumating and just kill the timers?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I know, brumation can be confusing. I don't know when to get Rosie up or let her sleep. Last week Rosie slept Sunday through Saturday am. Today she was up for about 2 or 2.5 hours. Sometimes she'll seem to want to get up, so I get her up and she gets like she's grumpy because she's tired because I didn't let her sleep. It's a learning process.

Goldie, however, will go for several days and not eat, but will be awake every day.

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea i see... Kuma wont sleep through his day lights so he'll spend half his day basking and half his day digging holes and wall dancing into his imaginary desert backround..... :lol:

I got him to eat one cricket today and almost a pea, but it rolled off my hand when he went to snatch it, he wouldnt even look at it afterwards.. Later in the day i brought him a fresh icecream of peas and put it in front of him and he turned his head and looked at it curiously but refrained from eating almost as if hes on a mission to achieve some type of diet goal or show me up..... :?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you sure that "he" isn't a "she"? The glass dancing, digging, not eating and passing just urates could very well be signs that your beardie is gravid with infertile eggs. Or, has this beardie been in contact with another?

SBL3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I mean it could be a she, i began suspecting that maybe it was just because he's/she's so cute :lol: but and no he/she hasn't been in contact with any other Beardie.... They get pregnant on there own accord? :shock: :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom