Is this hormones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preezy

So about a week ago i posted about my beardie's sudden change in behavior. Hes always been a massive eater, eating ANY insect i put out in front of him. He would usually stuff himself then go bask and chill out for the rest of the day. He'd also eat his greens throughout the day. Pretty much, as if someone flipped a switch on him..he started acting pretty strange all of a sudden. Every morning when the lights go on he gets EXTREMELY hyper and restless. thrashing around, glass surfing, running around his viv, pretty much trying to get my attention. Hes also started to black beard (something ive never seen him do..ever). The one thing that has me the most worried is that he doesn't eat as much anymore and hes very picky now. (which sucks because i just bought 100 discoid roaches...which he refuses to eat now.) He will only touch superworms and his greens now..nothing else.

I posted about this earlier last week..and someone told me it was hormones, that he just started to go through puberty. It makes sense since he is i want to say..aproximately 7 - 8 months old now. He is at 20" long from nose to tip of the tail. His temperatures are right at 95 - 105 degrees like always. Hes been pooping just fine every morning on his own. I also keep him well hydrated by giving him baths every other day. Every morning i let him run around for a couple of hours in order to blow off some of that steam, however i work sometimes in the morning an do not have the time to let him run around, so i come home to his viv completely trashed. Its already the 7th month since ive had him, so im thinking maybe his uvb bulb has given out? I ordered a new Reptisun 10.0 since i was told to change them every 6 months.

Anyone have any input? Is this really just hormones? if so..how long till this phase passes?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that the crazy behavior sounds like it's caused by hormones. It's normal and there isn't much you can do but wait him out. Give him some space to run around and burn off energy when you can. He should calm down and return to his normal self after a while though.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It varies between them. Sometimes a few weeks, sometimes a few months. I can't say for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom