is this fungus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
im kinda worried LG has some ongoing thing. i took him to a vet because i thought he might be getting mouth rot. $120 later i find out he doesnt. the vet says on the outside he is perfectly healthy.

well hes had this stuff on his lip and nose for a while now. ill post 2 pics; one from a month ago and the second is from today. it looks like this stuff is in between his scales:
rot.jpg

PICT0052.jpg

i pointed this out to the vet while at his office and he said it was just a little goop from food or something :? . if you look at the second pic though, it looks more serious.

i try to wipe his head and face while bathing him but he wont stand for it. is it possible this stuff is nothing more than filth, and if so; how can i get him to hold his head still while i clean it off?

if you want to zoom in really close on that first one you can, its HD. if you zoom really far in you can see this stuff all over his nose. id really like to know what i can do about it, it appears to be spreading and now im worried that the vet misdiagnosed something...

*EDIT* im pretty sure his face is going through a shed so that probably accounts for some of the paleness but that white stuff and the scabs in the first pic and the brown stuff in the second pic is what worries me.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jason,

Hm, that does not look "normal" to me. I am not sure that it is yellow fungus, but, perhaps mouth rot or an infection of some sort. Even though he is shedding the indentation of the right side is what I don't like.
What did the vet say regarding mouth rot, or a mouth infection, did he culture that area at all?
What do the insides of the gumlines look like on that side? Has there been any discharge from that area?

Are you using any ointment on it currently? There is a nolvasan cream that you could use as an antibacterial cream to help with that & it is relatively safe if a little bit gets into the mouth in small amounts.

Does it affect his eating?

Tracie

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
the vet(dr. greek, if you wanna google him) opened LGs mouth and showed me the inside; it looked healthy. alittle purplish under the skin but ive seen that on other dragon pics, thats normal right? it didnt look yellow or pale and there was no discharge. his appetite is as good as ever. hes been taking food alot more than he used to(it was once or twice a day now its 2 or 3 times). he eats alot more in each sitting too. he feels noticeably heavier than i remember. i think hes about to hit another growth spurt. he may end up normal size after all, itll just take a few years for him to catch up with the other dragons his age.

i wasnt able to get that camera today, i might be able to tonight though after work. ill try to get some more pics, until then take a real close look at that first pic. if you download it then open it with paint you can zoom in really far and its still clear...

thanks Tracie :wink: .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jason,

Well, good that the gums did look healthy then it probably is not mouth rot.
Did he possibly rub his snout on something to cause those particular scales to dent in slightly? As long as there is no discharge coming from that area, then there shouldn't be any infection there, either.
I will wait to see some more close up pictures of that area, too.
Great that his appetite is so good & he is going through another growth spurt, what a good boy he is! :blob5:

Tracie

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
i wasnt able to get the other camera... im trying to take close ups with the different settings on the one that i have but there is no super close-up on that one.

he looks good. i havent opened his mouth but when i feed him i can see in there and it looks healthy.

that part on top of his nose is starting to shed off, probably in the next couple days.

about rubbing his snout; i have seen him do that after meals and other occasions. he gets up and his two front limbs and tries to rub his chin or his nose on the ground. is that a bad thing?

ive also noticed he has what looks like dried mucus around his nostrils. ive tried getting a close pic of it with no luck. ill keep trying.

i wish i could afford another vet visit but i dont think ill have that much money to spare for a while. ive started saving up to eventually take him back. next time i go ill have him do that swab thing you talked about. any other things he could have done?

thanks again for all the help :wink: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom