is this enough food

Status
Not open for further replies.
i feed 5 crickets in the morning and five at night to each lizard, i put 2 sets of 15 meal worms in a bowl again on in morning and one at night however i cannot be sure how many each of them get as my adult gets there first and has as many as possible! i also put fresh greens in every day and again am not sure how many they each it... although i am sure that they both do eat them. is this enough?

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hi and welcome ! Just how many dragons are in each enclosure ? That might be part of your problem, if there are two or more, of varying ages the more dominant one will get all the food, and the other(s) not much at all.
For adults aging 18 months or older you can offer 45-50 weekly just spaced out.
Super worms not meal worms to dragons longer than 16", dragons smaller than this can get impacted.
If you do have more than one dragon per enclosure you will want to seriously think of separating them. Other hazards like attacking and even removing limbs from one or both dragons is likely !
Hope this helped out !
Janie.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
hello, and welcome :D .

the above poster is right; while it may seem like a cost efficient way to house 2 dragons, housing them together isnt always going to work.

i have 2 cases for you.

1.) my first dragon LG was nearly killed by his brothers and sisters when he was only a few weeks old. some one was keeping several bearded dragons together and fed them without watching. i just happened upon the most grusome scene ever. just look at the picture of the little bearded dragon missing all of his legs. its next to my username to the right of this text somewhere. if your not careful, you could find one of your dragons missing a finger or toe(or much worse).

2.) i rescued a pair named Mayze and Trouble from a petstore. the male was smaller than the female but was always dominating her. eating most of the food, taking the best basking and sleeping spots, trying to bite her every now and then... when i could finally afford to seperate them i did. Mayze was happy as could be, no more worrying about being jumped ontop of or bitten. all the food that went into the cage was for her so she didnt have to worry about going hungry at all. Trouble was alittle peeved because there was no-one to boss around anymore. he was restless for about the first week but calmed down after that. he would still go crazy everytime he saw her or any one of my dragons for that matter...

some dragons can be housed together but thats the exception rather than the usual.

anyhow, welcome to BD.org. i think youll find everyone here is very into bearded dragons :wink: .

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Thanks Jscott for adding that ! I love your thread dealing with that sweet baby and love the pics of the others !
I want to reinforce that it is not a good idea to house more than one dragon per enclosure ! Too many of us have adopted handicapable dragons to ignore this rule ! I strongly urge you to plan quickly for enough vivs so each dragon can have his or her own space !
Hugs !
Janie.

rockstar1992

Original Poster
thankyou very much:p i know what you mean as when i first put them together the dominant one wasnt very fond of the smaller one but i decided to put them in different tanks. it wasnt very long ago that i put them back together!
i dont have any problems with biting or fighting or any of that... the older one seems to be willing to let little bit eat but im just uncertain as to how much to feed them... i atleat know little bit gets around 10 crix and maybe 10 worms a day and maybe even a small portion of salad. i have no problem with my tank as i am in the middle of increasing the height... it is 4ft and will be around 3ft high once iv finished. thanks for your help;)
youv helped alot.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
yea, yor probably better off sepersating them. theres no way to tell how much they each are eating if they live together. you could think theyre splitting everything when actuallly the big one is getting almost all of it.

LG was amost killed by his tank mates. be careful, once a limb is gone you cant undo it.

remember, its horizontal space they need, not vertical.

what kind of UVB bulb are you using? i just ordered 2 MVBs they should be here today... those are what you should use in a tall tank. any other fluorescent UVB wont reach at all.

good luck, keep us posted.

rockstar1992

Original Poster
not entirely sure tbh but i am, before i make the tank bigger, ( its just a standard 4ft by 1 1/2ft atm but i am planning to make it bigger) i am also making a rock structure to climb on and to get a maximum of 12 inches away from the UVB, i was just given the light by the local reptile shop as i braught my first lizard in an all inclusive sort of package. i didnt really have the knowledge to question anything. how much do the MVBs retail around? i will definatley consider seperating them asap
as i allready have enough equiptment to do so.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
very cool. i just bought two 125watt MVBs here(http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=2183) for just over $60 after shipping and tax.

its taking alittle while for them to arrive but ill let you know how they work when they get here.

really, 40gallon is just big enough for 1 adult bearded dragon. thats how i keep mine but i often find theres no room to change things; everything is so tight it all fits in like a puzzle. with more horizontal space they can have more freedom to "run in bigger circles"...

for a short time, i had i my possesion a 3' x 4' x 1.5' tall glass aquarium... it was freakin perfect for a beardy but i had just lost my job and sold it, along with a few other tanks, for a few weeks worth of groceries.

anyhow, i gotta go to work. have a nice day and good luck with the pair :wink: .

rockstar1992

Original Poster
i posted a pic of my tank as it is atm on photo expressions under " please post pics of your vivs" or somethink along them lines. thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom