Is this a good set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParkerandMe

Hatchling Member
Hello! I have been posting a lot lately in preparation for my new baby bearded dragon. I really appreciate all the help I've gotten so far! I just got all my cage things, and wanted to make sure I have a good set up. Here goes:
I have a 36x18x16 cage (I know it's small but I don't have a lot of room) with sliding glass doors. It has a cardboard divider in it (it sections off a foot so my viv is really 2') which I have heard is unnecessary but was recommended to me by the pet store owners as my little guy is currently in a smaller cage. I have a grapevine that allows him to get onto my reptile hammock, which will serve as a basking spot. I have a 50 watt Zoo Med basking bulb that gets my temps to about 105*F (Used an infared temp gun to measure this). I also have an 18" Reptisun 10.0 in an aquarium fixture which makes the cool side around 85*F. I think I will cut a hole in the screen top to allow UVB light to get in. I am wondering if this will be a good size for when I take the divider out, because I don't want to have to cut another hole, but am afraid it won't cover enough of the tank. Does anyone know another solution? The fixture is kind of bulky so I might have trouble hanging it in the viv. Does there need to be UVB in the basking spot too? Or can I put them next to each other? On my cool side I have part of the grapevine, one of those half log habba-huts, a dubia bowl, and a water dish. I have heard they raise humidity levels, but they also use them in the store, and I was told he uses it regularly. If he doesn't I will take it out. Where can I purchase a humidity gauge, and what are acceptable humidity levels? Right now I am using paper towels as substrate, but will eventually use porcelain tile.
Is this a good set up? Am I missing anything? How do I change my dirty paper towels if I'm not supposed to handle him for the first few days? Thanks so much :D :D !!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That size tank is fine. The 18'' is probably a minimum in my opinion. General rule I go by is at least half the length of the tank. I'd put it right next to the basking light and cut a hole in the screen under the bulb. That should be fine. I wouldn't expect him to use the cool side much, so design your setup around the basking spot. If your house is reasonable humidity wise, I wouldn't worry about humidity much. A water bowl could raise humidity slightly, but again I wouldn't worry about it much unless your house is really humid to begin with. I have central A/C so don't bother monitoring the humidity in the tank. Don't worry about handling much either. Just go by how the new little guy reacts. You probably won't have much time changing out the paper towels around him. He may even be OK with handling right from the start. It's tough to say - they're all different.

ParkerandMe

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! I don't think handling will be too bad-- whenever I took him out at the pet shop he just sat in my hand and let me pet him. Even when he is held over his cage he usually just sits there. He even tried to fall asleep once! I CANNOT wait to get him!!!!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Most digital thermometer weather stations have hygrometers, and you can get digital ones made for cigar boxes online easily. I have a little one that I use to monitor humidity and ambient temps, in addition to a probe and it gun

If you cage is properly ventilated you won't notice a humidity bump from the water dish. You want to stay on the lower end of 30-60% humidity. Usually, comfortable levels to people will work out to be fine in a hot dragon enclosure.

Heat+UVB should be on the same side of the tank. They come of ether in nature and should come together in captivity. You may find the hammock isn't very good basking perk - they tend not to hold heat very well and it can be tricky to get good basking temps and good ambient temps. A rock or dense branch may work out better. If you dragon spends all it's time on the basking spot your tank may be too cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom