Is This A Good Schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenspets

I have recently adopted a 2 year old male bearded dragon. I have came up with this feeding schedule and I was wondering if it sounded good.
Btw, he is getting a ReptiSun 10.0 HO t5 uvb bulb.

Monday: staple insects (crickets, roaches, or bsfl) with calcium w/o d3

Wednesday: staple insects with calcium w/o d3

Friday: staple insects with a few occasional insects with calcium with d3

Sunday: staple insects and some occasional insects (super worms, hornworms, etc.) with multivitamins

He will be fed vegetables everyday (collard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, green beans, etc.)

Does this sound like a good feeding schedule for a 2 year old? Any advice would be awesome! Thanks!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KeyBlu422":17w1sl3t said:
At his age, he really only needs calcium and insects twice a week and a quality multivitamin once a week.

Depends on how you apply the calcium and the vitamin powder to the live insects and other food.

I dust my crickets VERY LIGHTLY - every day, just enough for them to leave a dusty impression when then drop onto coffee table , NOT CAKED ON.
I do very light dusting calcium EVERY DAY , yes my adult gets some live insects (usually a large silkworm & 8 large or 10 medium crickets) & greens EVERY DAY. I give a 1:1 mix of calcium and reptivite on weekends.

This is a good schedule to follow : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=237167 , which is actually based on in the field observation and REAL science.

If you are over doing the calcium you will soon find out because the calcium will be precipitated as calcium oxalate in the urates (and will give them a orange tinge).

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
jenspets":1yatu15g said:
Calcium with or without d3?

It honestly depends on who you ask. I and many others use w/d3 without issue but some, such as kingofnobbys, tend to avoid(at least with his skinks) since, if applied too much, the synthetic d3 will build up since they can't pass it. About multivitamin, choose one that uses beta carotene in place of synthetic vit A, beardies can pass extra beta carotene but they can't get rid of synthetic vitamin A.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KeyBlu422":2v1tg019 said:
jenspets":2v1tg019 said:
Calcium with or without d3?

It honestly depends on who you ask. I and many others use w/d3 without issue but some, such as kingofnobbys, tend to avoid(at least with his skinks) since, if applied too much, the synthetic d3 will build up since they can't pass it. About multivitamin, choose one that uses beta carotene in place of synthetic vit A, beardies can pass extra beta carotene but they can't get rid of synthetic vitamin A.

If you have a very good UVB source , ie a good MVB or metal halide globe or 12%UVB or 14%UVB t5HO tube, giving D3 fortified calcium long term is likely to read to health issues - see
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=233592#p1798248

Excess vitD3 IN THE BLOOD results in poor absorption of dietary calcium , symptomatic as hypercalcemia, as well as Hypervitaminosis D3.

jenspets

Original Poster
Ok, does this sound like a better schedule?
I have a reptisun 10.0 HO t5 bulb and I will be using Rep-Cal supplements.

Monday- staple insects with calcium w/o d3

Wednesday- staple insects with calcium with d3

Friday- some staple insects and some occasional insects with multivitamins

He gets veggies everyday.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
jenspets":1qfm4n7d said:
Ok, does this sound like a better schedule?
I have a reptisun 10.0 HO t5 bulb and I will be using Rep-Cal supplements.

Monday- staple insects with calcium w/o d3

Wednesday- staple insects with calcium with d3

Friday- some staple insects and some occasional insects with multivitamins

He gets veggies everyday.

Sounds pretty good, maybe like two waxworms for the 10+ crix you feed on those days. As for veggies, you may know this but here are a few sites for foods

http://www.bearded-dragon-food.com/

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

http://azeah.com/lizards/basic-care-bearded-dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom