Is this a good idea? (75 gallon aquarium)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Black Friday is coming up and my store is going to have a great deal on a 75 gallon aquarium and stand. And there's a tiny chip on the outside edge of one so I'll be able to save even more money (it's looking like it's gonna be around $200 for the kit.) But I wanna see if everyone thinks my ideas are safe for Pancake.

I really hate lids so first off, would it be safe to leave the top open? The tank is 21 inches tall and I would have the UVB light mounted inside with command hooks and the basking spot at around 15 inches.

The tank also comes with LED lights and if I used a CHE with the UVB bulb, would it be okay to use the LEDs as visible light? Or would it be better to use a white light instead of a CHE?

I was reluctant about using a glass tank since they don't hold in heat but I can't really argue with the price. Is it even a good deal or should I save up for another enclosure or build my own?

pPETNA-5210724_alternate1_enh.jpg

Tank 21" high, 48" wide, 18" deep
Stand 29" high, 50" wide, 20" deep

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It all sounds safe to me, so if it's what you'd like go for it. Honestly, you can probably build a 4x2x2 for about the same price, and have the front opening doors and ability to mount the uvb overhead. But, it's more work and requires some tools.

I had a similar kit for fish and the price is good for what it is. I am pretty short so it was really hard to reach the bottom on a stand like that, height is worth considering.

The glass won't cost you as much heat loss as the open top will. But it's fine to leave the top off as long as the dragon can't hop out, and no one can get in with him. Some dragons are better/more willing jumpers/climbers than others.

Personally, I would still use a white halogen basking lamp. You can use the LED bar as extra light, but IMO the visible heat light is still a good way to go. T5 lights are worth considering too, for uvb... You can suspend them over the top of the tank (like the LED bar in the photo).

ohlookahails

Original Poster
I discussed things with my dad and showed him some of the great furniture-to-enclosures and he's agreed to help me after the new year (he's busy fixing two of our cars atm.) I'd rather have something better looking and more useful than a glass tank. And with the furniture idea, I can set things on top of it.

I've also rethought the CHE idea and it's not like Georgia gets super cold at night. I like Arcadia's suggestion of an MVB, T5, and heat bulb to create a better heat/uvb gradient.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If you can't find a dresser/furniture to convert, plywood box style build is pretty easy. It would need to be taller to accommodate the MVB though, but that light setup sounds nice!

ohlookahails

Original Poster
Since I want the lights inside the enclosure so I can use the top, do you think 30 inches tall would be suitable? And I'm thinking of making the top hinged so changing bulbs is easier than reaching inside and probably burning myself. I could also add chain to the domes so I can adjust the height and have them focused on just the right spot.

I'm getting so excited about this! :D Pancake is going to have a cooler bedroom than me.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
ohlookahails":3ia3si4a said:
Since I want the lights inside the enclosure so I can use the top, do you think 30 inches tall would be suitable? And I'm thinking of making the top hinged so changing bulbs is easier than reaching inside and probably burning myself. I could also add chain to the domes so I can adjust the height and have them focused on just the right spot.

I'm getting so excited about this! :D Pancake is going to have a cooler bedroom than me.

I rhonk a hinged top sounds great. I have a 24" tall and wish I'd made a hinged top sometimes, though it was more useful when I was changing fixtures tha just bulbs. Make sure you check the MVB directions for the bulb you plan to use so that you'll have space to use it but I think 30" will give you enough room.

Probably too late now, but if you were to make your own vivarium identical to the above one, it would cost around £60 which is around $90. I built my own one, a little smaller than yours and not as much glass. It cost me £28 which is about $42. The amount of profit these reptile companies make from selling vivs is unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom