Is this a bad basking behavior? Or is it ok?

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello, my bearded dragon won’t stay on her basking for more than 1 hour at a time recently. Sometimes she basks in the morning for about 1 hour. She likes to bask in the evening more. Normally she’ll stay on the basking in the evening for about 2-4 hours. Lately, after about 30 minutes to 1 hour she will get up and go to the middle of her tank. Sometimes she has a black beard. She has done this before. But, she has been doing it more frequently. About 3 times an evening. She normally goes back on after a little while. Not immediately. More like less than 30 minutes. She repeats this all evening most of the time going off and on the basking. She has a bit of spring zoomies/ fever Running around a lot during the day. And has more frequent black beards. But, she would still stay on her basking until a few days ago. I probed her basking. Twice. One time it was 98-106. And the other time was 96-105. She has been getting about 2- 2 1/2 hours of basking time. Not including when she is off periodically. Is it ok that she does this? Or is something wrong with her basking? Is she just being a little restless from spring fever? She doesn’t tend to jump down in front of me. But, I’ve seen it before. She just stares at the ground and jumps off after a little while. The black beard sometimes comes on the basking. Or sometimes afterward.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
They move to their cool spots whenever they need to. 105-108 is a little too hot adult dragons temps should be about 95-98° mine's temps are 95° and she moves away from it when she eats or she goes to bed. I would drop the temps to 95-98°

Last edited:

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Ok, thank you very much!!!
Based on my basking. I think the range of temps is always like 8-9 degrees. There is one part near the top that spikes up a little high. Which makes that one spot warmer than the rest. Should I try to get the lower part of the basking 95? Which would probably make the top 104. Or should I go lower on the bottom of the basking? She tends to bask real high up a lot of the time.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello, I’m a little stumped on what to do. When, I bring the bottom down to 95. I can only get the top where it spikes to go down to about 104.5. The other part of the top is at 97. I believe when I looked it up the internet said about 95-105 for surface basking temps. But, I’m not sure if that’s correct. Her getting of the basking because she is too warm does make a lot of sense. Do you have any ideas or recommendations on how to get the temperatures correct? She didn’t do this behavior this frequently before and her basking has been the same this whole time. So it is weird that she started now.

Attachments

• C2CF4180-57B2-4BC5-A041-CC72E69AC0B1.jpeg
    C2CF4180-57B2-4BC5-A041-CC72E69AC0B1.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 24

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
She was on there for 1 hour and 30 minutes. I was around. She only gaped once for a few seconds. Like an hour into basking. Then, I left. When I came back down she was in the middle again. Her beard wasn’t black but it wasn’t bright either. I find it weird because she didn’t seem hot. And doesn’t seem to want to do it till I leave.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Yeah it could be that she's too hot because they will move whenever they feel too hot.
Ok, thank you very much!!! Is there a chance it is something else? Because she didn’t seem hot to me when she was on the basking this last time, and I made the basking colder, but she still got off. Maybe she was just done with basking though?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom