Is my UVB fine or should I upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
I have a Reptisun 10.0 T8 24" in my custom 36x24x18 enclosure. I was wondering if I should upgrade to a T5 HO bulb instead? Or am I fine? Cause he can get to around 7 inches away from the bulb. The ranges vary anywhere from 7 inches to 10 inches away from the uvb. Should I upgrade or am I fine? Here's his enclosure.
78165-9330571894.jpg
78165-6940453830.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Without a reflector it isn't putting out more than shade or early morning levels of UVB at that distance. It's probably not critical but an upgrade is a good idea. Perhaps plan to upgrade to a T5 when it's time to replace this bulb. The T5 will have an effective range at 12-14'' above the basking area providing mid day UVB levels. I'd get one that only covers 1/2 the tank to provide an area with low to no UVB and allow for more self regulation.

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2xs58f9o said:
Without a reflector it isn't putting out more than shade or early morning levels of UVB at that distance. It's probably not critical but an upgrade is a good idea. Perhaps plan to upgrade to a T5 when it's time to replace this bulb. The T5 will have an effective range at 12-14'' above the basking area providing mid day UVB levels. I'd get one that only covers 1/2 the tank to provide an area with low to no UVB and allow for more self regulation.
He has spots where he is around 7-9 inches from the UVB. Shouldn't he be fine? So he can self regulate and stuff?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't done tests on T8 bulbs without reflectors but with a reflector I found the best outputs at around 6'' or so with the output decreasing quite a bit by 12''. I'd imagine without the reflector it's not as intense so I would provide a large area at around 6'' for the best results from that setup. If I'm reading Taterbug's chart correctly, A T8 ReptiSun 10.0 without a reflector puts out around 2UVI at 6'' which is partial sun or early morning levels of UVB. It drops below 1 at 12'' so I wouldn't think it's much use beyond that distance. https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2lvivg5j said:
I haven't done tests on T8 bulbs without reflectors but with a reflector I found the best outputs at around 6'' or so with the output decreasing quite a bit by 12''. I'd imagine without the reflector it's not as intense so I would provide a large area at around 6'' for the best results from that setup. If I'm reading Taterbug's chart correctly, A T8 ReptiSun 10.0 without a reflector puts out around 2UVI at 6'' which is partial sun or early morning levels of UVB. It drops below 1 at 12'' so I wouldn't think it's much use beyond that distance. https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides
is 1 still good? Casue no where expect the bottom, does it go to 12. Everything is 10 or lower

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
1 is OK but it's like being in the shade all the time. Definitely better than nothing but I like to see basking sites be in the range of 3-5 at least during part of the day. That more closely reflects the intensity of natural sunlight. Of course the intensity increases as the morning goes on and decreases across the afternoon but we have to do our best to simulate that even if it's a lower UVI to produce an "average" exposure. If the weather is nice, I'd definitely take advantage and provide some outside time if you can. Nothing we can produce artificially can really substitute how good natural sunlight is for them.

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":33qblore said:
1 is OK but it's like being in the shade all the time. Definitely better than nothing but I like to see basking sites be in the range of 3-5 at least during part of the day. That more closely reflects the intensity of natural sunlight. Of course the intensity increases as the morning goes on and decreases across the afternoon but we have to do our best to simulate that even if it's a lower UVI to produce an "average" exposure. If the weather is nice, I'd definitely take advantage and provide some outside time if you can. Nothing we can produce artificially can really substitute how good natural sunlight is for them.
Is he fine with what he has until December when I get him a new bulb? He is still very energetic and alert so I i believe the UVB is fine

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah, he'll be fine. I'm not trying to say his current setup is problematic, just that it can be improved. Many people use the T8 bulbs without issue. I had Cooper set up with one for over a year and it was OK.

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2k9c8ydx said:
Yeah, he'll be fine. I'm not trying to say his current setup is problematic, just that it can be improved. Many people use the T8 bulbs without issue. I had Cooper set up with one for over a year and it was OK.
How did cooper die? He seemed like a very healthy dragon and loved to be around you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He was generally healthy and very happy. He died from neuroendocrine gastrinoma a few months shy of his third birthday.

KyleSwonger61

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1jq4ph9y said:
He was generally healthy and very happy. He died from neuroendocrine gastrinoma a few months shy of his third birthday.
What is that? Never heard of that

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a form of cancer in the intestines. It was likely caused by genetics. There wasn't anything we could do to treat it as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom