Is my tank setup ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Background info: My beardie has been having some different behaviors since September and Im at a loss. He's about 7-ish months old (12" long). He used to be totally healthy/perky/basking lizard but now everythings different. I suspected brumation since he started eating less, sleeping more and excessively digging. But it's been 4 months now and Im worried... He eats about 8 dubias and some greens once a day (collard, mustard, dandelions,etc). He'll bask for a couple of hours in the afternoon but then avoids the lights and sleeps from 2pm until the next day in his hammock :? On his own he'll poop (solid with a white urate) about every other day, if not I give him a bath. Just worried cause he's only 7 months and I feel like he should be eating/basking wayyyy more.

Tank change: SO! Today I went out and bought new lights just in case since he does in fact avoid his lights during the day. So do you guys think this setup is ok so I can rule out improper habitat?

*pic included below*
40 gallon tank
PowerSun UV 100 W bulb (heat, UVA and UVB all in one)
Basking area (stick is 8" away from bulb): 100
Warm side (on the log): 97
Middle: 80
Cool side (hammock): 75
Humidity: 40
Substrate: Tile

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/8903/full

I guess my question is does everything look/sound okay? Just trying to figure out why my baby won't bask like he used to and hides from his lights.

Bretter0725

Original Poster
Yup! The bulb is a PowerSun bulb which has UVA, UVB and basking all in one. Thanks for the reply! :) I read a ton of reviews that said it was good quality.

leo2526

Maybe its the age they are in but mine has been actually eating less than yours but just mostly wants to sleep i have to almost force her to bask at times started 1 week maybe a little more ago now

Bretter0725

Original Poster
@leo2526, maybe! Thats exactly what I have to do too. I'm on break so Ive been getting up at 11am and he STILL will be on his hammock away from lights. Ive been picking him up and putting him in the basking area to warm up before feeding. Then not long after he goes back to bed! :roll: Its worrisome! But since he's eating and pooping I havent taken him to the vet yet... he'll also perk up when I take him out. Runs around and gets so bright colored! So who knows...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Everything looks good, are you sure he is only 12 inches long? He looks bigger than that in
the picture.
You could try adding a tube UVB for him, also. The Powersuns are nice bulbs, bright & they
do get hot. They are not particularly strong in their UVB emissions, so I would recommend
adding either a Reptisun 10 T5 or an Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 to run along the top also. It
would not only add more UVB but some brightness, also.
They do have a tendency to slow down this time of year, too. He is at the age to where that is
highly possible. Is he losing weight or maintaining weight?

Tracie

Bretter0725

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

You're right, he's a little over 12" but not by much, maybe about 13"...? He's maintaining his weight for sure. Its just been difficult lately when it comes to feeding. He used to eat crickets twice a day and go crazy for his veggies. Now I really have to entice him to eat. Ive switched him to dubias since he starting less so I wanted to make sure he still got enough nutrients. As for veggies he wont touch them unless there's green peas in the mix. But he's getting better at picking them out lol.

Then everyday at 2 pm he'll hide from lights, go to bed and get all dark... :( Do you think 4 months of this behavior is too long to be slowing down?? Will he be like this until spring? I sure hope not!

Thanks for your help! Ill look into getting another UVB just in case.

leo2526

I’ve been reading a lot today because of my berdie acting similar that uvb light might be the issue. So I am getting a new bulb and putting my tube hopefully inside the tank & already took off the plastic cover as I read it blocks a lot of the uvb rays.
102745-326415916.jpg
Here’s a pic for reference on mine but i did change it a bit yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom