Is my dragon fat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
As I've posted in at least one other thread, Malygos had his first vet visit today for a check-up and to get his "smelly poop issue" checked on. Malygos is about 8 months old now but he's only about 12-13 inches long. I got a weight at the vet today and he's 170 grams. I realize that he is young so I do the 15 minute as much as he wants feeding method. He readily eats his greens and will charge over to his veggie dish to grab some. I do sometimes hand feed him some veggies or a few dubias so he's not always chasing his food down. Is this too fat for his length? And if he is overweight, would that affect how long he would grow?

He's got temps around 100-110 under his basking light, around 70-80 on the cool side, slate tile in the tank though I took it out and put newspaper since he's got the poop problem, and a Reptisun 10.0 tube that is just turning 6 months old. I feed him dubias, crickets, and either collard greens or dandelion greens as his salad. He only likes the green stuff so there aren't any other veggies or fruits in it. The vet said he is very healthy and I'm doing great raising him but he is so short and round. :?

zillathakilla

Juvie Member
My beardies 17 inches and 470g,my beardies fat lol, yours sounds like a good weight and even fat beardies are fine,it keeps them warmer when it gets cool :)

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
My talon is 17 1/2 " long with a good sized tail nip. He's 580 gms. :shock: He's a chubster and been put on a diet by his Vet. Your little guy isn't fat
Amanda

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Spikey07":21jcmnrt said:
Do you have any pics?

I do have some. I have a grainy video of me feeding him, which is the best show of his belly but I'll post some recent pics too.

Flatygos.jpg

Basking like a pancake

0102021750a.jpg

He's got some jowls going on :lol:

0106021524.jpg

I took this one just now.

I just can't understand why he just gets more round instead of growing longer and the only explanation I can think of is either a) he's got some digestive issues that the medicine should hopefully take care of or b) being a chubster is somehow making him grow less. :?

pyffersnpaws

Juvie Member
I just looked back at my records (I measure and weigh all 3 of my guys every week.. I know a litte ocd) But mine were about the same length and weight as yours... so I'm thinking that he's about normal :)

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
pyffersnpaws":3bmm9d0m said:
I just looked back at my records (I measure and weigh all 3 of my guys every week.. I know a litte ocd) But mine were about the same length and weight as yours... so I'm thinking that he's about normal :)

That makes me feel a little better. :) I know he still has several months left of growing but he seems stubby for 8 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom