Is my dragon bored?? Does he want a friend? .... i'm serious

Status
Not open for further replies.

moestheman

hello friends.. We have a bearded dragon named Moe.. we took him in when friends could no longer care for him so we're not sure of age but def adult.. he seems to be very healthy but somewhat...can I say "bored"?? Would he like another dragon? Would he eat it? Any comments would be helpful..

Moes Mom

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Everything I've read states that dragons are solitary creatures. They do not long for other dragon company, if you will. Additionally, it's not a good idea to house two dragons together (not sure if you were planning that, but thought I'd mention it). As for being bored, well, dragons while not fond of other dragon company, do love OUR company, usually. Our dragon is quite happy to be held and snuggled several times a day. I do notice that he seems a little "down" when we have a busy day and haven't had our usual "out of viv" time. Ours, in particular, loves to be held near a sunny window, and also LOVES to fall asleep on us whilst "burritoed" in his sock. Falling asleep on humans is prime beardie bonding and happiness time. When ours gets his usual lovin', he's more aware, alert and active. That said, dragons are desert lizards and do love the lounging that goes along with that. Could it be that he's just happily basking with that dragon-common lazy expression on his face? Or, did you just get him? Dragons take some time to acclimate to new environments, so he could just be in a down period, getting used to new surroundings and people. Or by bored, are you saying that he's actually lethargic (i.e., sleeping a lot, heading to the cool side of the tank instead of basking, etc.). If this is the case, you may have a dragon with a health issue, either internal, or enclosure related.

If you could be more specific as to his behavior, I know someone here would be able to help discern the issue a little better for you. There are many here who are "all knowing" in the subject of beardies (I'm not one of them, but I'm learning), and their behavior. I imagine someone might have a suggestion or two (or three), but specifics are always helpful, and to be sure, you will probably be asked to give some details as to his enclosure and routine, heating, lighting, feeding, etc.

Best of luck with your "bored beardie." Hope he's up and going soon!

Em

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
Another thought is most babies are hyperactive while adults are calm slow and pretty much laid back lazy buts :lol:

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Play with him :D take him out and let him explore. Toss him in a window he will spend hours watching stuff zoom by.(only in beardie safe rooms/windows of course)

But yep cant have more than one in a viv. They like it solo :D

MrT

yea mine would look out the window all day if i let him when he is out he seems to make a beeline for the window

moestheman

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the replies!!! We have had him for about a year now.. and he does seem quite peaceful and very alert.. we have a fat cat who lays in front of this tank and they have staring contests.. we don't take him out though.. but would love to start.. I have had experience with other beardeds in the past so I do know the proper way to handle.. although sometime when I try to pick him up he seems annoyed.. I am guessing the more we handle him the more comfortable he will be.. right?? Again.. thanks for all the advice.. I will keep you posted on moe's progress..

xx
MM :lol:

malaysiamoses

My Billy loves the window. I live on a small town hwy and the cars that go by are maybe two a minet, but he sure is interested when that car does go by. I dont think he knows what to think.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
It's winter here, and cool. But we have a south facing window in the attic room that beardie LOVES. On calm, sunny days it's even warm enough to open, and he gets SOOOO excited, keeps trying to climb the screen.

MrT":4bf91 said:
yea mine would look out the window all day if i let him when he is out he seems to make a beeline for the window

Oh yeah, I hear this. Yesterday, we were sitting there together, beardie in my hand, enjoying the sun, and then the cat walks up, sits down beside us and closes his eyes. Three happy beings enjoying the sun in wintertime. Ahhh...

Indeed, MM, grab that beardie and snuggle up, play, let him watch you make dinner... ours will sit "burritoed" in his sock on a warm water bottle on the kitchen counter, watch me cook and the other night, even joined us for dinner. He watches a bit, snoozes a bit. Very dear. He's quite delightful company. I hope he thinks the same of us.

The best,
Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom