is my beardie underweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junipiner

I have a male bearded dragon. He is approx 9 months old and 20 inches long, nose to tip of tail. I attempted to weigh him and he weighs approx 200 grams. Im concerned he is underweight because his sides are more wrinkly than they used to be and his upper torso looks thin. He has recently not been eating as much as he used to but still eating. He is very active and his coloring and eyes look good.he is not shedding, which he sometimes goes off food a bit when he is. Im a first time beardie owner so every little thing concerns me.

Does anyone have any info that would be helpful? Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would say for 20 inches, 200 grams is too thin. Do you have any pictures of him?
Please run over your tank setup also such as the type & brand of UVB light & the supplementation schedule, etc so we can make sure it is all correct.
How much is he eating right now?

Tracie

junipiner

Original Poster
He is in a 40 gallon tank, repti carpet for substrate, just replaced his basking light last week. Basking temp at about 110. He has 2 UVB lights (reptisun 10.0 UVB compact florescents). He hasnt been eating a whole lot lately. Ive been switching it up between crickets (he only eats about 15) and superworms (lately he eats about 7-8 on a good day). He has vegetables available all day to him, collard greens, butternut squash and the occasional fruit.he nibbles on them occasionally. Today he pooped twice and then just a little bit ago he just "peed". He used to have a forocious appetite but the last few weeks its been a small appetite. I offer him food all the time but hes just not eating it. He is full of energy, always climbing all over his tsnk. I am not sure what is wrong.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. It's the uvb the coil/compacts have been known to cause eye problems, lethargy and appetite problems. The most recommended uvb on here is the reptisun 10.0 Tube that should be mounted in the tank. I use a under the cabinet light fixture from Walmart and command hooks. He needs to be able to get within 6 to 8 inches of it. With no plastic or screen between him and the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom