Is my beardie ok?

B0w1ofsoup

Beardie name(s)
Hobie Goober
Hello! I am new to having a bearded dragon so i just want to make sure everything is ok. My beardie isn't eating what i am trying to feed him but that may be because i also have a bowl of freeze dried crickets for him. But he looks so uninterested and sad :( i hope nothing is wrong with him. He also looks skinny i think but i'm not sure. And his poops are getting smaller. Is there any way i could help him?

Attachments

• 20230620_105615.jpg
    20230620_105615.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 110
  • 20230620_105645.jpg
    20230620_105645.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 56

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello! I am new to having a bearded dragon so i just want to make sure everything is ok. My beardie isn't eating what i am trying to feed him but that may be because i also have a bowl of freeze dried crickets for him. But he looks so uninterested and sad :( i hope nothing is wrong with him. He also looks skinny i think but i'm not sure. And his poops are getting smaller. Is there any way i could help him?
He looks dehydrated- please drop water on his nose and see if he will lick - keep dropping till he stops licking --- we need to go over the surface basking temps and your UVB--- how are you getting surface basking temps? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- you want digital probe thermometers - next NO coils for a UVB they are a health hazard --- if you need recommendations for them please ask I will post links for 3 good ones -- he needs live insects --- crickets or dubia roaches I recommend those along w/ fresh salads every day Nutrition Content ignore the kale info it is outdated - I would also recommend getting him some BSFL to put on the tops of those salads - they are a great staple feeder -- www.dubiaroaches.com they go by nutrigrubs on this site -- you want the roach no bigger than the space between his eyes go by the chart on that site - I would go for medium nutri grubs for now they are a small larvae - your dragon should be eating 20-25 crickets per feeding - and eating at least 2-3 times per day - please dust the crickets w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding --- and lightly coat them -- he needs the lighting to be on par - he is showing alot of stress - how long have you had him?

B0w1ofsoup

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hobie Goober
He looks dehydrated- please drop water on his nose and see if he will lick - keep dropping till he stops licking --- we need to go over the surface basking temps and your UVB--- how are you getting surface basking temps? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- you want digital probe thermometers - next NO coils for a UVB they are a health hazard --- if you need recommendations for them please ask I will post links for 3 good ones -- he needs live insects --- crickets or dubia roaches I recommend those along w/ fresh salads every day Nutrition Content ignore the kale info it is outdated - I would also recommend getting him some BSFL to put on the tops of those salads - they are a great staple feeder -- www.dubiaroaches.com they go by nutrigrubs on this site -- you want the roach no bigger than the space between his eyes go by the chart on that site - I would go for medium nutri grubs for now they are a small larvae - your dragon should be eating 20-25 crickets per feeding - and eating at least 2-3 times per day - please dust the crickets w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding --- and lightly coat them -- he needs the lighting to be on par - he is showing alot of stress - how long have you had him

He looks dehydrated- please drop water on his nose and see if he will lick - keep dropping till he stops licking --- we need to go over the surface basking temps and your UVB--- how are you getting surface basking temps? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- you want digital probe thermometers - next NO coils for a UVB they are a health hazard --- if you need recommendations for them please ask I will post links for 3 good ones -- he needs live insects --- crickets or dubia roaches I recommend those along w/ fresh salads every day Nutrition Content ignore the kale info it is outdated - I would also recommend getting him some BSFL to put on the tops of those salads - they are a great staple feeder -- www.dubiaroaches.com they go by nutrigrubs on this site -- you want the roach no bigger than the space between his eyes go by the chart on that site - I would go for medium nutri grubs for now they are a small larvae - your dragon should be eating 20-25 crickets per feeding - and eating at least 2-3 times per day - please dust the crickets w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding --- and lightly coat them -- he needs the lighting to be on par - he is showing alot of stress - how long have you had him?
I just gave him some water thenk you for that suggestion! He drank it! And I am using a hand held thermometer and his basking area gets up to 118 F. And the rest of his tank gets up to 80 F. I am trying to start introducing him to lettuce and he has eaten a bit. I've had him for only 2 weeks. I don't have access to dubia roaches but I do give him live crickets and mealworms.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I just gave him some water thenk you for that suggestion! He drank it! And I am using a hand held thermometer and his basking area gets up to 118 F. And the rest of his tank gets up to 80 F. I am trying to start introducing him to lettuce and he has eaten a bit. I've had him for only 2 weeks. I don't have access to dubia roaches but I do give him live crickets and mealworms.
Please no meal worms and please order on line --- I posted two websites for you -- the 118 is way too hot - you want 3 temps in the tank --- 105-110 for surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - 90's middle of the tank and low 80's for cool side --- what are you using for a UVB? And please NO lettuce -- it has no nutritional value please look a the website I posted for you

B0w1ofsoup

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hobie Goober
Please no meal worms and please order on line --- I posted two websites for you -- the 118 is way too hot - you want 3 temps in the tank --- 105-110 for surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - 90's middle of the tank and low 80's for cool side --- what are you using for a UVB? And please NO lettuce -- it has no nutritional value please look a the website I posted for you
Ok i will order some for him. I lowered the basking area so it isn't as close to the light. For the UVB I am using a 10.0 13 watt reptisun bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok i will order some for him. I lowered the basking area so it isn't as close to the light. For the UVB I am using a 10.0 13 watt reptisun bulb.
That is a coil please get one of these I post links for- those 13 watts are one of the worst uvb's

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank
Zoo Med this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb great for tanks of 20 gallons you want this bulb for a 40 + gallon tank
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood
Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
or this one can be found at Pet Smart if you have one
you want the 12% bulb Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
or this one you will need to change the bulb out to the Reptisun posted above and you want the 24" or 2 ft fixture
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
when you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you set it up for your tank - the screen will determine where the UVB needs to be placed and distanced
please get this right away---

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom