IS MY BEARDIE DYING

Status
Not open for further replies.

birgitgalore

My beardie has been sleeping a lot. Like pretty much all of the time. when i pick him up he may open his eyes and move a little but other than that, nothing. he is not eating or drinking. Today I took him to the vet and, they could not see what was wrong with him, but they gave me anti biotics and a de wormer, i also have to force feed him with a syringe :( . i keep his tank at the perfect temp. I dunno how often to feed him. he is so skinny. his skin is dark and i dont know what to do i am so scared. it is hard for me to handle, i am also bathing him every few hours. please give me advice. should I give him to someone who can take care of him? is there anywhere i can bring him to nurse him back to health? please help i am so miserable. :cry:

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Okay, take a deep breath, and we will try to help you. Can you answer these questions, so we can try to diagnose the problem?

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)?
How long are lights on each day?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What is the night time temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bathe your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Oh but they can loose weight whle brumating if they have parasites. Also, they can loose a little weight during brumation.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
I know that, but OP said he was looking very skinny. And even if he is brumating, if he has parasite something is wrong I guess?

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, you do not want them to have a high count of parasites when brumating. Please pm Drache613 and have her take a look at your post and if you can post a picture of your dragon. Her name is Tracie, and she should have some ideal of what is going on.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please do review your tank setup for us so we can try to help better first!
Next, did the vet not do a fecal at all on him before administering & prescribing the antibiotic? Which antibiotic was given & what was the amount? Which dewormer was given, do you know the name? Was the name of the dewormer Ivomec or Ivermectin by chance or Panacur?
Are his eyes sunken in or is his beard dark?
Was he this ill before taking him to the vet or did he get worse after the meds?
My guess would be brumation but possible parasites that should be treated.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom