Is my bearded dragon fat

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakedragon

Juvie Member
My mam keeps telling me my bearded dragon is fat, but I'm not so sure. She is about 10 months old and is 15" (she doesn't seem as long as other bearded dragons), but she weighs 403 grams (just weighed her this morning).

She gets live food once a day. Depending if it's crickets or locusts she normally eats 20 large crickets or 10-15 medium supersize locusts. And she also eats collard greens. Usually 1 bowl or 2 a day (depending on how hungry she is)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have a picture of your dragon? That would help in assessing her physical condition.
The weight for her length doesn't sound too bad. Her eating will probably slow down some as she gets closer to a year or so. She may just not be as long as others, as they are all a little different. That amount of food is fine, as long as she is eating greens, etc. If you feel she is a little overweight, you could back off some of the live insects a bit to see if that helps, but slowly.
Do you provide UVB for her?

Tracie

drakedragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She has an Arcadia 12% D3+ UVB bulb. It needs replacing next month, but I'm getting her a new home. I'm planning on getting her the 3ft exo terra terrarium and I have an Arcadia mvb that I will be using

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That sounds good, the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulbs are fine!
Do you have pictures you can post too?
A 3 foot tank is great, along with the MVB Arcadia, too. You can use your tube bulb in combination with that also, for very good UVB exposure.

Tracie

drakedragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
i know alot of people say they need at least a 4ft tank/viv, but i dont think she is going to be very big as an adult since she is only 15" and she is nearly 1 year old.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She looks good though, her colors are great.
The arcadia tube, is it mounted directly overhead, correct?
One thing I would change with the tube bulb would be to get it put into a light fixture. The UVB light is not directed when it is an open tube & the UVB refracts everywhere around instead of downward as it needs to be towards her. I don't know if that would help with her growth, but it couldn't hurt.
Maybe have the basking light & tube overlap a little more for a more balanced basking+UVB spot/area.

Tracie

drakedragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Her UVB is mounted on the back wall of her viv close to the top. I read it had to be. 8" away from them, so if I mount it on the top it's going to be at least 15" away from her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom