Is less more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
I have Joga in a 40g breeder.
Since we got her, I had a large piece of grapewood that spanned across the tank, sitting on top of tile, a rock right next to the wood to create a large basking spot, with a hide, water dish, and a hammock. In the past 3 mos she's grown from 7" to 14.5". The grapewood was great at first because she could climb all over it when she was smaller. But now she's too big and can only sit on one spot or climb around it.

I have a UTH stuck to the back of the tank on the warm side, and switch that on at night to keep the chill out of the tank. I strung her hammock above the corner where the UTH is and that is where she sleeps at night. I checked the temps in the AM over her hammock (to make sure the UTH doesn't go on the fritz and get really hot) and it's around 72-74 in the AM.

In the last week or so, she's decided she wants to hang out in the back of the tank and only bask occasionally, whereas before she wouldn't move off of her basking spot all day. Her basking spot is 95-101 (100 watt), cool side of tank is about 80-82 (I have a 100 watt house bulb on a dimmer on that side). She's never been really active or glass danced or paced the tank like I hear other beardies do, until this week that is. I had to move the hammock because she was basically sitting under it, which was blocking any UVB she might get. Then she pooped on the grapewood this morning (before breakfast) so I had to take it out to clean it up. Thought I had her potty trained to go outside of the viv, but she's pooped early last two days.

Ok so now I've cleaned up the yard sale she had going in her tank. All that's in there now is the rock (which reaches about 98 degrees basking spot), tile, hide, water bowl, and hammock. The tank looks more spacious without the grapewood and she seems to be moving around in it much more, including the glass dancing now...

So here's the question: Do I keep the grapewood in there or leave it out?

BeardieGrandma

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback.

I took it out and got her a bigger rock (she's so big her butt was starting to hang off of the other one LOL) - she seems to like all the changes I made and definitely has more room to roam around the tank now. Too bad, cause it's a great piece of grapewood - awesome for smaller (like babies) to climb on...maybe I'll keep it just in case a baby dragon makes it's way in my house again :mrgreen:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yeah that is too bad! Those grapevine logs are so nice, but if she likes the rock better just stick with that right now.
Now you have an extra grapevine log in case you need it for the future!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessyMay
Top Bottom