Is Jack sick or just "unique"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2dragoons

Original Poster
Hello all!

The lamp is 12" from the basking rock. She doesn't like any greens at all. I've tried EVERY green ever grown and she'll lick them then close her eyes and turn her head. Do you think spinach baby food would work? She loves the carrots and green bean baby food. Last night she ate 4 super worms. So I feel much better about her health now.

Thanks to all for your concern.

Karen/2dragoons

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, that's good that Jack is eating some superworms. I wouldn't recommend feeding spinach at all, not even spinach babyfood. Please look at this list as there are much better ones. http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html Have you ever tried putting a few pieces of cilantro or parsley or fruit like melon, apple, strawberries on top of some greens like escarole, endive, collards, beet greens, or dandelion? Something like that may just entice her to give it a try. You could even offer a few pieces of fresh green beans since she likes the green bean babyfood so much. It's important that she starts eating fresh greens/veggies.

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...Instead of continuing to keep changing out her veggies & greens, I would suggest only getting collard greeens for now. Break them up into small pieces & squeeze the juice from a strawberry over them. Offer this every day til she starts eating it. Then add other things. If she likes babyfood chicken, drip some of that on her collard greens. I agree...no spinach at all. And very little carrots. Green beans and squash and canned 100% pumpkin (in the pie fillings section of Walmart) are healthier choices. Also, I suggest quitting the romaine, too.

Don't give up. This may take several weeks to get her started. Offer the greens mornings before offering live food, when she is hungrier.

Good luck
Patsy

bmb527

Hatchling Member
!st off, your 30 gallon BREEDER has the exact same footprint as the recommended 40 breeder, it is just not as tall, so the 100W Powersun is fine. I use 40 breeders and being in a cool spot in the house, I have to use the 160W Powersun to keep things right. Most folks here aren't up on the dimensions of all the different tanks out there and the 30 breeder is an oddball, as there aren't many around.
As for getting them to eat greens, there are 2 ways to go about it. You can try to "coax" them into liking them, if that doesn't work, because these critters are stubborn, you may have to go with the "tough love" approach and quit feeding him anything other than salad. When he gets hungry enough, he WILL eat it! I had to do this method with one of mine because someone spoiled her. Also, don't just give greens to it, chop greens into bite sized pieces, then grate some zuchinni, yellow squash, raw pumpkin, carrots and make it colorful. I have even added some frozen mixed veggies in for variety. I know Wal-Mart has bagged Collard Greens and sometimes has Mustard greens, a bag will last a couple weeks, and the other veggies last a while as well. I make a few days worth of salad and keep it in a tupperware container. Mine LOVE corn, but it comes out looking just as it did when it went in, so, I guess they don't really get much out of it. Hope this helps!
Bill

2dragoons

Original Poster
Hey everyone! Great advice to all. I do make sure that Jack and Lola's food is ALWAYS chopped up into pieces no bigger than the space between their eyes. I have tried fruit juices over the greens, fruit pieces mixed in the greens, mixed greens, separate greens, greens with fresh herbs(dill, cilantro, parsley, etc.), frozen veggies and etc. etc. etc. She is a picky stubborn eater. I think I will just start over and try everything again. Maybe she'll find something she likes this time around!

Thanks again!

Karen/2dragoons

lukenukem83

have you tried putting the worms in with the salad? our boy snuffs salad all the time, but when we put worms in his salad, he'll take bites of the salad as well.

When bearded dragons are young, there diet is almost entirely insectivorious to make sure they get enough protein to grow. So they eat A LOT of bugs. As they mature, they slowly change to a more herbivorous diet. It's natural and perfectly normal. Don't worry aboot your beardie, just offer a little bit of greens each time until he decides he wants to start eating them.

my beardy doesnt do anything by the book either but i have only had it a week now but it doesnt eat greens it spends most of the day and sleeps at the cool end and if it does bask its for about 5 mins a day

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Beardies over 1 yr old should be eating less protein and more greens, so that's why it's important to keep offering different greens. Their tastes do change so even though you offered a certain green a month ago, she might decide she likes it this week, so just keep trying different ones. Frozen veggies don't have as many vitamins in them because they decline when they are frozen. Yes, just keep trying everything all over again, I'm sure she'll find something she likes.

03sinclairp":04578 said:
my beardy doesnt do anything by the book either but i have only had it a week now but it doesnt eat greens it spends most of the day and sleeps at the cool end and if it does bask its for about 5 mins a day
You should start your own thread because it sounds like you may have some issues that need to be discussed. We will be more than happy to help you. :wink:

iv got one going on diarhea iv included the probs there i was just reading through and noticed similer things so thought i would mention it

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's ok to do, just wanted to make sure that you had a thread about your concerns, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom