Is it worth it to breed crickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurela

I recently moved to a small community for work, and it's about two hours to the nearest city where I can buy crickets. For the first little while it wasn't a problem because I had a cricket supplier in the city and I came home every weekend to stay with my husband and get crickets. However it looks like he'll be moving soon and I'm not sure if I want to drive the two hours there and back every two weeks just for crickets. Right now I just have one adult beardie so I was considering breeding crickets but I know they're stinky, loud, and maybe not the best for being in a townhouse without a lot of space. I'm sure it would be cheaper and I've read through some care articles, but I'm wondering how much time and space you tend to need to breed crickets for a single beardie. Also slightly off topic but has anyone had luck growing collard greens inside? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks

How about ordering crickets to your home from a breeder nearby? And maybe take larger amounts..
Cricket breeding takes some time and they always make noises and escape..So if you are not prepared to deal with that you should just have them delivered to your home..
But of course when you get the breeding going there is less work and you save money..You should also take in account that you also need to take care of the crickets if you keep buying them all the time (which I guess you already know) and breeding takes more time just because you have to keep transferring the babies out of the breeding container..So if you ask me - if you can get used to the noise and a few escapes then breeding is surely the better option :wink: ..

laurela

Original Poster
I'm definitely leaning towards breeding them now. The closest cricket breeders I'm aware of are around 800km away then I have the problem of the post office only being open while I'm at work, so getting them shipped straight from a breeder isn't really an option.

laurela

Original Poster
So does anyone know what the smallest cricket population that's able to sustain itself is for breeding? RIght now my beardie is only eating about 20-25 four week crickets a day.

Buckmaster299

Hatchling Member
if you are worried about stink or noise, i would strongly suggest starting a Dubai Roach colony. Quiet, no smell. Plus they do not die as easly i don't believe. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom