Is it safe to soak my dragon in a diluted betadine solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalBears

I think Reptar's tail might have tail rot and I am planning on clipping the rotted part, but I need something to prevent infection. I was thinking betadine diluted in water (so it looks like a weak tea color) and using triple antibiotic ointment for the area that I clip.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Betadine is safe... amputating a portion of your dragon's tail yourself is absolutely not. Not only is there a high risk of infection and almost guaranteed nerve damage, but think of the pain he will be in. Take him to a vet who can do it properly and under anaesthetic. Please!!!

CalBears

Original Poster
Jasper's Mom":5c5f3 said:
Betadine is safe... amputating a portion of your dragon's tail yourself is absolutely not. Not only is there a high risk of infection and almost guaranteed nerve damage, but think of the pain he will be in. Take him to a vet who can do it properly and under anaesthetic. Please!!!

I decided not to do it myself because I did not want to hurt the dragon, soI took him to the vet and was told that it was safe to clip the "dead shed" at the end of the tail, if I properly do it.

He showed me how to do it:

- You have to dip the tail in peroxide for a few minutes to soften it up and then it is easily clipped with some STERILIZED sheers (you soak them in alcohol or any sterilizer, even if the sheers are new).
- You SOFTLY and SLOWLY bend the tail where the shed is retained until you feel the tender part where the live part of the tail is. This part will not bend.
- Once the dead tip is clipped, you have to soak the bearded dragon in a 5 parts warm water, 1 part iodine (AKA Betadine) solution for 15-20 minutes, twice a day. You don't want to be able to see the water turn a brown color, just a really really light brown color.
- You want to clean ALL the cage furniture and make sure it all gets disinfected AT LEAST twice a week.
- You put a small bandage on the tail tip to prevent it from coming into contact with feces or cage furniture that might infect it.

I have to take the dragon back to the vet on Friday to get another check up to make sure that the infection did not make it to his blood stream.

Again, the vet clipped the tail, but he told me it is ok to clip the hard retained shed tips, since the dragon has no feeling there. I didn't clip the tail, Dr. Woodward showed me how to do it by doing it himself. All I have to do is give my beardie a bath in an iodine solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom