Is it normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
That Fuzzy doesnt come out in the mornings?

Lights come on at 6am and at 8am today he was still behind his leaves. Hes awake but feels cold and i usually have to bring him out and set him under the heat lamp.

My concern is that whilst hes hiding hes not getting enough uvb light?

Should he be bringing himself out to the heat?
Maybe hes ill?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yep , they generally don't leap out of their hide/bed as soon as the lights come on, it can take a while for them to mozzie out when they've started to warm up and wake up more.

The colder they get over night, the longer it's going to take to "wake up".

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hes still there now at 12.30 lookin like he wants to sleep.

Baskin spot is reading 33c maybe its not hot enough. Im goong to change it for my 100 w baskin bulb. Do you think that may help?

I think the reson the 50w isnt gettin up so high is the change in weather. Its cooler here recently.

Hes been behind the leaves all day.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How cold is getting in the tank overnight ?

How long are the lights on each day ?

It's autumn where you live and he may be signally he's ready to go down (brumate) if your daytime and nighttime temperatures are too cold and the day cycle is too short.

Keep in mind that a lizard's metabolism is not like that of a mammal, when they are cold their metabolic rate and activity level reduces (they become lethargic and very sleepy and inactive).

You need
a basking spot at about 40oCelsius
and overnight temperatures kept above 21oCelsius (in my case about 22 - 24oCelsius year round c/- my reverse cycle split aircon system)
and a day cycle (basking and UV lights on) longer than 12 hours (I'd recommend 14 -16 hours , I run a permanent 15hr day cycle for my lot)
.... to keep your beardie more active.

I have a friend who breeds rankins and here is an extract from an email he just sent me - I asked him as I was unsure of proper conditions for a Rankins (I've not kept them)
The temperatures you will want to achieve are 40-43c in the hotspot with a cool spot of approximately 25-30c this may need to be achieved by using exhaust fans depending on how large your enclosure is and what heating methods are used. Night time heating isn’t really needed unless you live in very cold areas during winter in which 20-25c overnight should be enough to keep your little friends happy.

None of my pet lizards (beardies, bluetongues and water skinks) have ever brumated because I fool them into thinking it's always summer as above.

My lot don't stay up all day either, they bask for a while , and then nap here and there during the day between basking and thermoregulating periods.

If he's over 12 months old, in good health and got plenty of fat reserves, and he's emptied his bowls , it's OK to let him brumate if he really wants too.
Others can advise how to manage him while he's in brumation and how to adjust his tank temperatures and lighting schedule while he's in brumation, I've never had that problem so other than turning down the lighting schedule a bit and the temperatures and providing water when he comes out (as they can do for short stints to bask) to give him a drink I'm not sure what else needs to be done husbandry wise while a beardie is in brumation.
I think it's not a good idea to allow a beardie brumate in it's first winter .

BUT === If I remember correct he's a juvenile (9 month old) rankins.

So I'd definitely try to keep him active and feeding and basking and growing this winter as he's too young to brumate, so you need to provide overnight tank heating to keep him warm .

Best options are
a ceramic heat emitter controlled by a digital thermostat who's probe is near (inside maybe) his hide
or a heatpad (also controlled by a digital thermostat) placed under the tank
or sandwiched between two layers of tiles and placed under the hide - this is how I provide extra nighttime warmth = viewtopic.php?f=75&t=224976 ) for when it gets chilly .

And you need to bump up his daytime zone temperatures and basking temperature (higher wattage basking globe) , maybe bump up his lighting schedule (hrs ON) and I suggest he should be still getting two live insect meals per day too.

I believe in really cold climates (like Canada and the really cold USA states) people run ceramic heat emitters in their tanks 24/7 to give both a daytime boost in temperature (as well as running larger wattage MVBs or basking spot globes over winter), and to keep the overnight temperatures above 21oCelsius.

The climatic conditions in the natural range (black soils region of Queensland) of rankins dragons are coolest days in winter is 24oCelsius and coolest overnight temperature in mid winter is 12oCelsius - the ground a few inches under stays about 21oCelsius even on the coldest night in winter and rankins will take refuge to avoid exposure to the colder overnight extremes).

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you soooo much for taking the time to write all that. It has helped a lot.

You are right he is rougjly 8 to 9 months. And is indeed a Rankins.

I have been out a few hours since lunch time and upon returning he is still behind his leaves. Hes peepin at me through the gaps lol. Hes been there all day.

When they brumate an hide is it ok they dont get as much UVB?
Should i still get him out to feed him daily? Hes still poopin every day but i have noticed his beard has looked darker the last couple days.

The baskin spot is hotter now with the 100w bulb 40c an the cooler side 26c.
As far as im aware during the night its been dropping to about 22c. Oh and his lights are on for 15 hrs a day.

With regards to the CHE bulb is it possible to just take out the basking bulb an screw in the CHE at night time he kinda sleeps behind the leaves just where the baskin spot is?

Im really greatful that ppl take the time to help each other here thanks again for taking the time to reply xx

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Fuzzy when he did bother to come out for 10mins this am
88016-2934887982.jpg

88016-4778650198.jpg

88016-9632604825.jpg
Excuse the red lips. He had strawberries x

88016-1535597919.jpg

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So he stayed there all night an this morning i got him out an he ate about 20 calci worms. I put him to bask but he went straight back to hide an sleep.

Now im not sure i should have fed him as i have to worry about him doin a poo now.

Can he really survive without eating?

God im so worried an this could last months.

On the plus side his beard is no longer black an hes pure white on the underside. Is that because the temp is higher.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Karenxx67":lqebu9m4 said:
Thank you soooo much for taking the time to write all that. It has helped a lot.

You are right he is rougjly 8 to 9 months. And is indeed a Rankins.

I have been out a few hours since lunch time and upon returning he is still behind his leaves. Hes peepin at me through the gaps lol. Hes been there all day.

When they brumate an hide is it ok they dont get as much UVB? <<< none of mine have ever bromated , but I think they do come out from time to time to bask , so I think it's wise to leave the UV lighting on , if he needs it he'll bask.
Should i still get him out to feed him daily? Hes still poopin every day but i have noticed his beard has looked darker the last couple days.
<<<Unless he's actually brumating , you should continue to feed him. If he's pooing daily he's likely not shutting down to brumate.

The baskin spot is hotter now with the 100w bulb 40c an the cooler side 26c.
As far as im aware during the night its been dropping to about 22c. Oh and his lights are on for 15 hrs a day.<<<< sounds pretty good to me.

With regards to the CHE bulb is it possible to just take out the basking bulb an screw in the CHE at night time he kinda sleeps behind the leaves just where the baskin spot is? <<<< some do that , bare in mind they get very hot and each time you remove the basking bulb and replace with a CHE you risk
--- breaking them
--- burning yourself
and it's a pain in the butt changing over 2x per day, easily to install a second high temp ceramic light fitting and simply have the CHE on a thermostat 24/7 over winter with the basking and UV lights on a timer.

Im really greatful that ppl take the time to help each other here thanks again for taking the time to reply xx

you're welcome. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Karenxx67":262rty0s said:
Fuzzy when he did bother to come out for 10mins this am
88016-2934887982.jpg

88016-4778650198.jpg

88016-9632604825.jpg
Excuse the red lips. He had strawberries x

88016-1535597919.jpg

Hey , he's a cheaky and very handsome little bugger. And looks in great condition and very happy to me.

I think he's just a very lazy boy who likes long siestas ....

My observation is my juvenile beardies (Peppa and Toothless who are almost 11 months old now) tend to take long siestas during the day when they are having a growth spurt.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think if he's coming out for food and poos and basking (even short periods) he's not likely be trying to brumate , he's just lazy or really likes his nice shady leafy corner (he feels secure there).

If you've been weighing him weekly or every few days (I do my young growing lizards weighins every Saturday) you will probably have noted a bit of a surge in his growth lately.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I sure need to get some digital scales x

As of today he weighs 198.4g which converts to 7oz

Not sure what the average weight for a rankins is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom